Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1998 Big Bear 350 4x4 -- No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Big Bear 350 4x4 -- No Spark

I have a Big Bear 350 4wd, and it, for some reason, has no spark.

The last time it ran, started, and didn't notice anything wrong. Brought it in garage and parked it. Went to start it about a week later, and nothing. Replaced the spark plug, and there is still no spark @ plug.

Can anyone tell me what the issue might be? I've been told "possibly" that it could be the stator. I've checked and can't for the life of me figure out exactly how to test it. In fact, not even sure what or where it would be.

Thanks so much in advance,

Chris

Old 09-16-2012, 06:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

while cranking, test the stator/trigger output. while cranking, test the CDI output. plenty of videos on youtube. just type in "testing quad/atv stator and CDI."
.3...233.7294.0.7471.27.20.0.7.7.0.194.1338.6j9.15.0.echs..0.0...1ac.1.BQTxJI_jz_Qi presume you've had the plug out, put the coil wire on it, grounded it to the jug/cylinder and cranked it to test for spark? what position is your handlebar kill switch in? have you tested that kill switch? sounds like you got something going to ground in your keyed ignition switch, the handlebar kill switch, OR, possibly your CDI is bad UNLESS, you've had a mouse eat some wiring. check your quick connects with a pull/tug test from your stator (alternator) up to the CDI, up and around the handlebar area and key area. that'll get you started. think of the quad as your truck/car. stator=alternator located on the side of the engine under the black plastic or whatever plastics your quad has.
let's just get you an ohm meter/multimeter to do the testing. you don't have to have a $100 meter, a $5 meter from harbor freight will suffice. holler back.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I cant believe this! Posted this topic at dawn on a Sunday Morning. Planned on a couple weeks before a solid reply would be made. Not even 30 Minuutes later,...... Bling!!

Can't say how much I appreciate your help! I actually have an expensive Fluke 87 Meter. I will get on this yet this am hopefully and get back to you.

What is the cdi?

Thanks again,

Chris

Old 09-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jaster,

I inspected the wiring thoroughly, and found this under the actual ignition switch:

Can anyone tell me if this can "somehow" be bypassed so that I can test the rest of the system's electrical to make sure there's nothing else I'd need before ordering?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i'm not sure bypassing it will help, BUT, you could still do continuity checks on the rest of the wiring circuits. CDI,,,capacitor discharge ignition

Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, we'll, I now have the new switch installed and it did not cure the issue. I did need the switch so I guess I'm not completely out. But,....

This is a short video clip of the chattering noise it's made for a few years now and seems to be getting to be as often as 3 out of 4 attempts to start. It feels like its coming from the black square "box" that I wiped the dirt off of just a bit.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/...A8F208AA13.mp4

Thank You!

Chris

Old 09-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I PMd you. but to me, it appears to be your solenoid. check your PMs, i explained it quite a bit before seeing your post again.
in the video, see your red wire, it should connect right to your solenoid. the plates are chattering due to either a solenoid going bad or you're losing voltage from the battery and the current is insufficient to activate the solenoid plates. if your battery is good, double check those red wires. if i were a betting man, i'd say the solenoid is going out and getting weak.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

not sure about the big bear but on my blaster you can check the stator by turning it over and if the headlight comes on its not the stator, as far as that clicking video sounds to me it could be a relay

Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Guys! I just tested a few things with my voltmeter, and found this wire appearing to "almost" have been completely severed/broken off. Now, I'm not sure because I'm not sure of the actual size the wire in question.

Here is what I found:

This is what the wire looked like:

Same wire going back to the rear/battery area of atv. Notice, it appears to be somewhat black,.... When I touched this wire after cranking for just a bit, the wire was real hot, and appears to , at one time or another, melted. I've never worked on this area of the atv, so it would have been either like this from yamaha, or the dealership would have put it on. Is it possible the factory did it for the heat of the actual wire. I'm thinking it shouldn't heat up like that at all?

Name:  22D40424-6FE3-46AA-95F9-34EA33734D87-6083-000001A721AD6AC2.jpg
Views: 8553
Size:  49.2 KB

This is where said wire ends up:

Once again, I have no idea what purpose this wire serves. I'm guessing it's a ground?

Thanks so much to you all in advance for your help!!!

Chris

Old 09-27-2012, 07:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Never look at the big $$ stuff first, like Stators and CDI. My Big Bear had no spark and it turned out to be the coil,quick and cheap fix.

Quick Reply: 1998 Big Bear 350 4x4 -- No Spark