1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

06 jianshe 400 no spark somtimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 jianshe 400 no spark somtimes

I just bought a 06 jianshe 400 for 500 bucks and the guy said it would run somtimes somtimes not! He figured it was cause it sat in the rain.Anyways I got it home and it ran like a top for the night than the next day it wouldnt start so i checked the plug and no spark, after that i checked all connections and looked for broken wires and came up with nothing. Than i tried it and i had good spark so i put it back together and took it for a 10 mile ride and shut it off several times and let it cool off and it ran great till the next day i went for a little drive and it died on me and now i cant get no spark! Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas on what it could be?

Old 08-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mikertldg
I just bought a 06 jianshe 400 for 500 bucks and the guy said it would run somtimes somtimes not! He figured it was cause it sat in the rain.Anyways I got it home and it ran like a top for the night than the next day it wouldnt start so i checked the plug and no spark, after that i checked all connections and looked for broken wires and came up with nothing. Than i tried it and i had good spark so i put it back together and took it for a 10 mile ride and shut it off several times and let it cool off and it ran great till the next day i went for a little drive and it died on me and now i cant get no spark! Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas on what it could be?
Look at this very recent post:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...k-problem.html

Does you CDI have 7 wires and 3 plugs? Do the wire colors match up?

I've never seen a 400cc jianshe quad, but I know a lot about electronics, and fair bit about ignition systems in general. Maybe I can help, and maybe not, but I can try.... I like puzzles... I especially like to help solve them.

Intermittents are really tough to troublshoot because you always have that problem where any diagnostic measurement you do, you never really know whether it was done while the quad was working (would have produced spark), or not, since many tests are done with the ignition components unplugged. What you want to strive for is to find a scheme where the quad has no spark consistently - long enough to do your diagnostic tests - and still have no spark when done with the ignition system put back together.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have tested the orange wire coming outta the Cdi and I ain't got nothing so I wondering what feeds the Cdi?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

My Cdi is a 5 pin

Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Electrical Expert

If you've been following the other Jianshe 400cc thread you know that RGregorie has come to the conclusion (I concur) that he has the wrong CDI, and he needs the 5 pin version. You've just added another piece of evidence supporting that claim.

Here is a simplified version of the Jianshe 400cc CDI wiring which I found on Alibaba (submitted by a CDI vendor):

06 jianshe 400 no spark somtimes-js400-cdi-wiring.jpg

Hover or click on the thumbnail. For some reason lately though, I've had to right click on the thumbnail and select "open link in new tab" for it to work right. I don't know if this is a problem with my computer, or errors on this site.

Get out a meter and set it to measure DC volts on the 20 volt scale. Unplug the CDI. Turn on the ignition switch and set all kill switches to the "run" position. Measure the DC voltage between the red/white wire and the black wire on the CDI wire harness connector. You should see 12 volts. What do you measure?

Turn off the ignition, and set your meter to read resistance (ohms) on the the 2K ohm scale. Measure the resistance looking into the CDI connector again (CDI still unplugged) between the blue/red and green white wires. What do you measure? This is measuring the resistance of the stator trigger winding from the CDI connector back through the stator and all associated wiring.

Set your meter down to the lowest resistance scale you have (like 2 or 20 ohms - not "K Ohms", or "M Ohms"). Measure the resistance between the orange wire and black wire. What do you measure? This is measuring the resistance of the ignition coil primary from the CDI connector and all the associated wiring simultaneously.

Let's start here, and if everything looks good we can go on to measuring voltages while cranking the starter motor. If they don't look good then we zero in on the bad readings and dig deeper.

Remember that we're dealing with an intermittent, so you must start these tests with a non-sparking quad, do the tests, and then verify that the quad still has no spark when done. It does no good to collect data for a no-spark quad when it is producing spark...

Old 08-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I got 11.8 volts and then 216.5 ohms and then .7 .8 ohms! I am using a fluke meter

Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Electrical Expert

That all look good. Are you sure you quad is *not* making spark both before and after these tests? That is *really* important...

Set your meter to measure AC volts on the lowest scale you have (like 2 volts or 20 volts). Leave the CDI disconnected, turn on the ignition, and set all kill switches to the "run" position. Measure the AC voltage between the blue/red and green/white wires on the CDI connector while cranking the enigne. What do you measure?

Plug the CDI back in. Set you meter to measure AC volts on the 20 volt scale. Now measure the AC voltage from the orange wire to frame or engine ground. Make sure of two things: First make sure your probe is making a good ground connection. Dig through any paint or corrosion. Second, make sure you make a good connection to the orange wire at the CDI. Use a sewing pin as a probe if necessary to make a good contact, then probe the sewing pin with your meter. But be aware that there is high voltage spikes on this wire in a working quad, and you'll feel it if you become part of the circuit. It's iffy as to whether it is dangerous or not, so err on the cautious side and keep your fingers out of the circuit. What do you measure?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

I won't be able to do those tests for ya cause I am headed back to work for 2 weeks ( I work at a camp job). I tested that orange wire before and had nothing. I have Internet at work and will continue searching for a answer!

Old 08-29-2012, 02:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Lynn I just happened to see this thread this morning. I dropped mine off today and told the mechanic once again that it should be a five wire CDi . I am thinking that the price difference between the five pin and 7 may be my problem. This guy threw in the $40 7 wire CD instead of throwing in the $200+ 5 wire. I will find out in a couple days.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey mike does your ignition coil have two prongs a +, and a - then your normal grounds on each side?

Quick Reply: 06 jianshe 400 no spark somtimes