1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

2007 Sunl 110cc atv wiring nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Sunl 110cc atv wiring nightmare

I was just given a 2007 Sunl 110cc atv free with a wiring problem. The problem is theirs not much wiring left. This is what I have/know so far:

Stator magneto- yellow/green/white/black+red/blue+white
voltage regulator- red/white/green/yellow
ignition coil- Green/Black+2yellow
starter solenoid -green+2red/yellow+2red
CDI-5pin- green/blue+white/blue/ black+red/black+yellow

There is no headlight on it and tail light has wires ripped out. It does have the remote box, but that is going to be removed.

It came with another new wiring harness but is not ever close. This one has a 4pin CDI. I do plan to use part of the new harness. Fir

Thanks in advance
David

Old 08-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Range Rover
Exclamation

Ok, well first thing to do is get it running The black+red wire off the magneto is the high AC voltage required by the CDI. Blue/white from stator is the pulse from the pick up coil that tells the CDI when to fire. Black/yellow from the CDI goes to the ignition coil. The green wires should be grounded except the green wire from stator. It's mostly "connect the corresponding colors".

Old 08-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by powerlineman
I was just given a 2007 Sunl 110cc atv free with a wiring problem. The problem is theirs not much wiring left. This is what I have/know so far:

Stator magneto- yellow/green/white/black+red/blue+white
voltage regulator- red/white/green/yellow
ignition coil- Green/Black+2yellow
starter solenoid -green+2red/yellow+2red
CDI-5pin- green/blue+white/blue/ black+red/black+yellow

There is no headlight on it and tail light has wires ripped out. It does have the remote box, but that is going to be removed.

It came with another new wiring harness but is not ever close. This one has a 4pin CDI. I do plan to use part of the new harness. Fir

Thanks in advance
David
Once again I have reread the OP and discovered that I didn't read it correctly the first time.

What do you mean by there not much wiring left?

Old 08-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Apparently 2 owners of the atv ago had electical problems and tried to fix it. long story short, most of the electrical plugs are their but the wire is not. I have the connector plugs to the vital parts(cdi,voltage regulator) but about 3 inches of wire coming out of them. Basicly no wire.

One more question, what is the differents between 4 and 5 pin cdi. I was looking on the web site www.sunlpartsonline.com under electical atv wiring and it show the 4 pin has a switched 12 volt DC and the 5 pin has an AC ignition power. Obviously the 4 pin does not have the kill switch. The reason I ask is the 5 pin cdi is junk(big chunk of it missing), and it came with this other wiring harness(not the correct one) which has a new 4 pin cdi on it. Can this be used or do I just order a new 5 pin.
Thanks David

Old 08-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Range Rover

If you go to a DC switched CDI, you may end up with your battery dead. AC are much cheaper and easier to manufacture then DC CDIs because DC CDIs have a step up transformer which is why they are bigger. DC CDIs are better at starting in cold and offer better acceleration then AC ignition CDIs. But your stator has 2 coils, one is for ignition(small) which have thousands of turns of high gauge wire. The other (big) is a battery charging coil. Part of this coil is used for headlights only and the other for charging the battery(half-rectification). It would be cheaper to buy a new 5 pin AC CDI then kill your battery or change your stator. If you want the advantages of a DC (12 volts switched) CDI, you could buy a stator with 2 battery charge coils or customize your stator. The 4 pin CDI can be used but it might drain your battery. Remember a 4 pin CDI is powered off the battery not the stator.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a very generic wiring diagram for a 110cc machine. Click on the thumbnail for a readable picture.

2007 Sunl 110cc atv wiring nightmare-another-giovanni-110cc-wiring-diagram_fixed.jpg

Use this as a basis for your wiring. This uses a 5 pin CDI (AC powered) which it seems your stator is set up for.

5 pin CDIs are cheap and plentiful, so you could go that method, or rewire for a DC powered CDI. It is your choice. I'll help either way.

The only difference is that DC CDIs make the high voltage DC required (several hundred volts) by adding a DC to DC converter power supply inside the CDI to do the job. [All CDIs require moderately high voltage DC to operate]. AC CDIs make this required moderately high DC voltage by simply rectifying a moderately high voltage AC winding from the stator.

Six of one, and a half dozen of the other. They're both the same in terms of performance and efficiency. Choose your poison...

DC (4 pin) CDIs don't have a kill switch input. If you remove power to the CDI via the ignition switch, and the existing wiring doesn't keep up the 12 volts via the regulator/rectifier, then the engine will die. But is the regulator keeps the power up then the ignition switch won't work in many cases - it depends on how the regulator output is wired - is it before the ignition switch or after?

Handle bar kill switches can be wired such that they short the trigger signal to ground at the CDI (on a DC powered 4 pin CDI) instead of shorting the missing kill switch input. That is a bit of work to do that. This is why I would lean towards the AC ignition power approach since it is more common.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

First of all thanks for the help. New 5 pin will be here by the end of the week. Should have all wiring done by then. Will update then.
Thank you again.
David