1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110 D TaoTao won't start

Old 10-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110 D TaoTao won't start

I am fairly certain that it has to do with the "Brake" switch. Is there a way to bypass so you don't have to hold he brake on to start? That wold let be at least confirm my thought.

Thanks

Supergroomer

Old 10-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The brake switch is part of an interlock circuitry that keeps the starter from turning unless the brake is applied. It uses the brake switch to do this. This is very similar to the neutral/park switch interlock in your car that keeps you from starting up the engine in drive - and for the same reason. You don't want the capability of being able to start the quad up in gear and lurch into something unexpectedly (another kid, your neighbors new Mercedes, etc.).

So is the problem that your quad starter cranks but doesn't start, or is it that the quad starter doesn't turn at all? If the starter turns it's not your brake switch.

If the starter doesn't turn then turn on the ignition switch, apply the brake(s). Is your brake light lit up?

Leave the ignition switch on. Make sure you are applying the brakes, and also make sure you are in neutral. Follow the fat red wire from the positive battery terminal to the starter solenoid screw post. Follow the fat red wire on the other solenoid screw post down to the starter motor... Take a screwdriver shank and short the two solenoid screw posts together. Some sparking is OK.

Does the starter motor turn? Does the quad start?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the response. I didn't see it till this AM so I will have to try your suggestions later.

The reason I think it is the switch, is because it went from starting normally (brake pedal depressed all the way) to having to find the "sweet spot" on the pedal (not to hard not to soft) to not cranking at all. I would love to find the quick fix so my son can ride this weekend.

Supergroomer

Old 10-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Electrical Expert

So it's a foot brake? The switch on those is usually adjustable. You could try playing around with that adjustment. Assuming you have a brake light, that is the way to tell if the switch is working right.

I gave up on my quad pedal brake switch. I bought a used honda 750 brake switch off ebay and mounted it instead. I had to do some mechanical mods to get it to work, but have had no trouble since.

Doesn't your front brake lever also have a switch in it? On my quad either brake switch will satisfy the safety interlock. Once again the brake light is the indicator that tells you if the switch(es) is(are) working.

If it is the brake switch you could short the two brake switch wires together. This would mean your brake light will be on all the time (and the ignition switch is also on), and (more importantly) it means you could then start up the quad in gear accidentally and have an accident, because you've bypassed the safety interlock. Would you do the same on your car - i.e. bypass the interlock that keeps you from starting the car in drive or reverse? Personally I would not do it (car or quad), but you can make your own decision on this one... .

Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

i had the same problem if it does turn over spray started fulid in the intake if the carb if not check ur kill switch under the seat in the back its a pull one let me know if it helps

Old 10-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Range Rover

Hmmm.. that is interesting. My 2009 model year Taotao 110's starting had nothing to do with the foot pedal (rear) brake. You had to have the hand brake yanked fully to satisfy the brake switch interlock.

Joel

Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default my 110 tao tao will produce click sound but wont start

i have a brand new battery,switch and relay but i can only hear a click sound and wont start. as try to push start it i can hear the engine roll so i know the engine is not locked up. someone please help me. when i put the positive wire directly on the starter nothing happens. help.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Electrical Expert

Take out the starter and see if the starter turns when directly jumped to your battery (be sure to hook up ground too).

You may just have a bad starter.

But the push start thing has me confused. There is a centrifigal clutch between the wheels and the engine, no? (I've never owned a 110cc machine). If the engine is stopped the clutch is disconnected, and there is no way the wheels can turn the engine. Try taking off a side cover and find some way to turn the engine manually.

Also try taking out the spark plug and see if the engine will crank.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes but i put it in neutral AND have my son push me AND then i step on the clutch to pop it in gear AND it runs. Ive done everything i think except take starter off. I have to go buy a socket tomorrow AND ill remove starter. Shouldnt there be some kind Of spark or something when i touch the positive From battery directly on starter. I get no reaction when i do that. Could it by chance be the spark plug? If i take it advance auto parts can they tell me if the spark plug is bad? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by gree
Shouldnt there be some kind Of spark or something when i touch the positive From battery directly on starter. I get no reaction when i do that..
Let me make sure I'm understanding you. When you talk about spark are you referring to sparks at the starter connection when you hook the starter up? If so, yes - you should see some sparking since starters draw a lot of current (about 30 amps). But besides the direct connection from the positive battery terminal tp your starter, you also need a good solid connection from the starter motor case/engine chassis back to the battery negative terminal.

If you're talking about spark at the spark plug, then no, starter motors have nothing to do with spark generation at the spark plug.

Originally Posted by gree
...Could it by chance be the spark plug? If i take it advance auto parts can they tell me if the spark plug is bad? Thanks in advance.

Spark plugs keeping the starter from turning? Not a chance....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 110 D TaoTao won't start