Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rear Brake Removal on a 2000 Big Bear 400

Old 03-28-2012, 06:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Removal on a 2000 Big Bear 400

Can anyopne hepl me with removing the rear brakes on my big bear? I have beat the snot out of it, used pb blaster, heat and the drum barely moves. Is there something else holding it on or is it just rusted that bad? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by bowanna03
Can anyopne hepl me with removing the rear brakes on my big bear? I have beat the snot out of it, used pb blaster, heat and the drum barely moves. Is there something else holding it on or is it just rusted that bad? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lemme try to understand you Bowanna. It's a drum brake right??? You took off the wheel hub right?? Dust cover?

and now you're having problems getting the actual drum to move/release??

Old 03-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Correct, I did remove the dust cover which was also rusted on. I can't get the brake drum off though. I don't knwo if the shoes are rusted to it or if it is just rusted on tight

Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer

On the rear where the cables are attached.... Have you removed them yet?

If so, pull that lever up n down a couple of times.... Sometimes that will free up the shoes.

I've went so far as to force that spliney thing (Can't think of part name that the brake cable lever is attached to) .. into the drum itself in order to break the shoes loose.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have not removed the cable holder. The foot brake has no tension on it and is just dangling. How do you remove the holder for the cables

Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Trailblazer

I have not removed the cable holder. The foot brake has no tension on it and is just dangling. How do you remove the holder for the cables

Take your cables off of it first... and try to rock that holder back n forth. Sometimes that will free up your shoes and allow you to pull the drum off.

There's a bolt on the bottom of that holder which keeps it on that spliney thing (that bolt rests in a groove on it). (Someone help me out with the name of that!! LOL!!!)

Anyways, the holder/lever should just slide off the spliney thing. I put anti-sieze grease on mine so I didn't have any problems when I had to take it back apart. (always had problems with drum brakes)

The drum SHOULD come off especially if you rock that lever back n forths a few times. If not, you can take a piece of wood and hit the end of the spliney thing and it SHOULD pop free.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I get home I will try it. I may send some pics. Will you be on later if I need some guidance? Thanks for your help man

Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

How do you get the cables off. They are on with wing nuts that are both broken

Old 03-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Trailblazer

When I get home I will try it. I may send some pics. Will you be on later if I need some guidance? Thanks for your help man
No prob ... I should be around for the day/eve ... (but no offense, I'm a girl )

Broken wing nuts???? Sheesh!!! You're gonna have to pull that spring back on the cable itself .... take some pliers to hold onto the actual bolt..... then I'd spray some PB Blaster on the threads and push the wing nuts/bolt thru the holder so you can get a second set of pliers onto it to unfasten it. You got your work cut out for ya!!! Before you put it back together, get some new ones ok???

Old 03-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I apologize. Thank you young lady

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Brake Removal on a 2000 Big Bear 400