Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2000 e-ton thunder, no spark

Old 03-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 e-ton thunder, no spark

I have a 90 cc e-ton thunder year 2000. I have replaced the cdi, coil, new top end, new carb.,battery, spark plug, and I still can not get a spark when I ground plug. What else can I check? Please help

Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

is your brake switch working? even if your brake light will not illuminate because of a burned out bulb, you need to verify the switch function. up on the handlebar at the brake handle, when you actuate the brake handle, you should hear a "tink". if you do, the brake switch is working and satisfies a safety interlock for safe starting. if you don't hear it, tear the switch apart to try to fix it or replace it. if it has a tether kill switch near the rear of the quad, you'll need to check that also. holler back with updates and we'll keep helping. this'll get you started in the right direction. i'm gonna PM you some Eton items.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default 2000 thunder, no spark

thx, I did take brake switch apart. Now I half to twist the two wires together and try to start it, still no spark. Could it be the stator. If so ,how do I get to the stator to fix it? Or could it be the ignition switch, could I bypass the ignition switch

Old 03-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

whoa. let's not jump to conclusions and throw parts at the quad/problem. do you have a multimeter/ohm meter? time to check some readings.
just think of it this way: if your car didn't have spark, would you replace the alternator and other parts? or would you try to find the cause whether it's a bad coil, bad spark plugs, bad spark plug wires, or whatever? either way, we'll help you check it out.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Trailblazer
Question 2000 e-ton thunder, no spark

yes, i do have a multimeter, I hope I can figure this puzzle out.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LynnEdwards, for the life of me please double check us. are we overlooking anything? trigger check? double checking ground issues on CDI kill switches? hmmm...... oh, firefighter, did you check out the kill switch on the handlebars?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

@ Jaster94: Thank for the reminder. I saw this thread earlier and thought is sounded familiar. I made a mental note to look into this and then forgot .

Here is the earlier thread I was thinking of:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/kids...-no-spark.html

@ Firefighter66255: Is this the same quad? It's been a while. Give me a day to review and analyze the long post so I can look for something we may have missed...

Old 03-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Trailblazer
Default 2000 thunder, 90cc, no spark

yes, this is the same quad and I still cant get it figured out. New cdi,coil, carb,bat,new top end with good compression,new spark plug,had taken brake switch apart to see if that was the problem so I twist the two wires together to get it to crank. Havent did anything with the cut off on handle bar yet, dont know about how to check stator, or ignition switch.
please help

Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I went back and reread the entire thread from last year. At the end I still don't know what color wires you have feeding the CDI. Could we have a fresh start starting with the wire colors in the harness that feed you CDI?

You have five wires from the CDI. They connect to five wires in the wiring harness. Some of the wire colors from the CDI pigtails don't match the wire colors in the harness. From now on (since we're starting fresh) let's agree that any wire colors reported are on the wiring harness side of any connector. Wire colors on the short pigtail wires feeding a module (such as a CDI, voltage regulator, brake switch, etc.) are meaningless and irrelevant.

There is a very good reason for this: A pigtail wire color from a CDI module (for example) can be any color and still work. There is no useful information there. But a purple/pink wire entering the wire harness (going to parts unknown) will still be purple/pink when it emerges elsewhere. Then we look what it wires too, and voila, we have a big clue to the puzzle. Conversely, if we see a yellow/green wire enter the wire harness, and we're pretty sure it goes to the ignition coil, but the wires at the ignition coil don't have yellow/green wire exiting the harness there then our assumptions are clearly wrong. Another important clue...

I hope this makes sense...

So after you document the CDI wires (wiring harness side), do the same for all the wires coming from the stator area (out of the engine). How many wires, and what are the colors? (Again wiring harness side of any connector(s)).

Sometimes a fresh start makes all the difference in the world...

Old 04-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default 2000 thunder no spark

Lynn Edwards, I hope this makes sense. Wires feeding CDI-blue on white, black,white on black,red on black,yellow on blue/ Out of right side of engine(stator area I think?)-red on white,red on yellow,black,white,red on black/ Coil-blue on white,black/Brake switch-yellow on green,brown/Starter switch,horn,on & off switch-black,pink,yellow,black on yellow,white on blue,red on yellow,black on white,white on green/Solinoid-red,white on red,white on blue,yellow on green/Ignition-black on white,black,brown,red
Again, I hope this makes sense. I will be waiting to here from you , thx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 e-ton thunder, no spark