CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS 650 - Overheating Problem?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS 650 - Overheating Problem?

Hi, I am new to this forum, just picked up a 2001 DS650 a couple weeks ago. Right away I did the once over on everything, including carb, valve lash, and all the tuning and adjustment procedures. Yesterday I was the first day that I was actually able to drive it. It starts well, and took me a while to get the carb into adjustment. Whether it's driving or idling, after a couple minutes the fan will turn on, and then after a couple more minutes, it will start blowing coolant out of the rad cap. It wont drain the rad, but after a couple hours of driving the overflow can went to 0, and the rad is prob half full.
I am not sure if it is actually overheating or if there is something else going on. If it is indeed running hot, then I am not sure what could cause it. Pipes wern't red. The guy i bought from said that he had replaced the water pump at some point.... I am worried he might have done this wrong.... perhaps its running lean, although I dont think running lean would cause it to overheat that fast. Everything on the bike is stock with the exception of the muffler, which is a '48 ford tractor muffler, so I dont think re-jetting is required, but I am still a little unsure. Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 02-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, here is an update. Just pulled off the cover for the water pump. Impeller is there, looks okay, but I started the engine and its not spinning! The water pump is a direct gear drive to the cam shaft is it not? Or is it switched to the thermostat? When I try and turn it by hand it wont turn, as if the gear is engaged, but wont turn with the engine running, what is happening here? Thanks.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright, final update... pulled the side of the moter, removed water pump assembly. The plastic gear that spins the impeller is missing about 40% of its teeth. I will order a new gear and that should solve my problem. Guess I didn't need help after all Thanks anyways!