Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2001 scrambler 90 no spark

Old 12-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 scrambler 90 no spark

I need some help. I have an 01 polaris scrambler 50 with a 01 90 motor. quad ran great for 3 years this way. then son out grew I set it up for storage and 2 years later grandson wants it and tried to get it running and I have no spark. checked all kill switches jumped out pull cord and left hand on off switch checked all connections. found key switch had wires broken replaced it still no spark replaced stator no spark before replacing the cdi box is there a test I can do to confirm its dead if so how. if i need a box can someone recomend one this is a stock quad and wont be used for racing.

thanks

Dave

Old 12-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Most of the time stators were the problem areas on the little 50's and 90's. But if you said it was running before it sat up and you replaced the stator,ignition switch and and checked all switches? Did you bypass the emergency tether kill switch by tying the two wires together? Did you check for spark with the plug cap off?(cap should be around 5k ohms resistance) Also was the stator an OEM part from Polaris or aftermarket item?? Have heard of several non OEM stators causing problems??Plus on the cdi are you using the one for the 90 or the 50? both show different part numbers? Did you just swap out motors and complete electrical from the 90 over to the 50? OPT

Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for replying. I did bypass the tether kill switch, I pulled the plug and used a new tested good plug held by hand to a good ground no spark. I got an after market stator with pickup.
I'm using the stock 50 cdi, can't remember if I changed the stator or not when I changed the motor I think I reused all the stock 50 electrics. can I check the old stator if so how and can the cdi box be tested. the quad ran fine when set up and only sat un starded for a year and a half.
the grandson has sparked intrist and cant wait to teach him how to ride. hope we can fix it soon.

Thanks
Dave

Old 12-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Could be the after market stator is the problem! You can check the Chinese quad section and see some of the problems there are as the 50 and 90 engines are made by Aeon Motors. The Polaris OEM stators and cdi's show to have different part numbers for the 50 and 90 in the Polaris parts catalog,so I really don't know what you have!! Has to be some difference in the parts hence the different part numbers even though they may hook up ok in the harness?? In the little factory manual there really wasn't a good test for the cdi,mainly just the stator, stator pick up coil, and the ignition coil primary and secondary! OPT

Old 12-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks again. the after market stator was tested and had no voltage coming out. so I put the old stator in and retested with kicker. ac out of stator was 87 volts, black / red wire 87 volts going to cdi and 87 V coming out of it. wire coming out of the cdi turns into a white / blue wire, tested white / blue wire had 87 volts that wire goes into the harness comes out and tests at 12.3 volts. that plugs into the coil ( unplugged from coil) when tested. plug in and no spark. so is 12 volts enough for the coil to fire or is the coil bad? wish i had a spare to test. what do you think.

thanks

Old 12-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Looks like the coil is what you're down to since the new stator was bad (it's happened more than once!) and voltage is coming out of the cdi!
Make sure coil primary connection doesn't ohm out to ground and plug cap is around 5k ohms resistance. Also check that the ground wire hooked to the coil body is tight.
If these show ok,then I'm not sure about the coil? You can have the coil checked out(most shops have coil checkers!)Coils don't go out very often or cdi's (can't remember the last time I replaced a cdi or coil on the little ones,JUST mainly burned out stators!) But with electrical,anythings possible! OPT

Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks
it will be a few days till I get back to it.
thanks