Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

polaris sportsman 500 2004 wont start

Old 11-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris sportsman 500 2004 wont start

Last night I was riding my quad and had no problems went to make a turn and it just died, know i can't get it to do anything it has gas and i've had a charger on it all day. I can't even pull start it. Any suggestions?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! First off a little more info! Do you have power to the instrument panel?? Will the engine turn over? If you don't have power and it happened as you turned,could be broken/shorted wires under the headlight pod? This is where the ignition switch ties in along with most of the other wires into the main harness.This area is subject to a lot of stress on wiring from turning and twisting and also the metal headlight support pod bracket is bad about rubbing wires and shorting out! Don't over look the obvious first, which is the battery and connections! PLUS,ecm modules were bad about going out causing problems! Also they are under a recall at NO cost to you if it hasn't been replaced,Plus some of the replacements have failed also!! Hope this gives you a start on tracking down the problem! OPT

Old 11-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

no i don't have any power. i've had it charging all night i can't get lights or anything to turn on. how do i know if its the ecm's and where are they located. i checked all the wiring under the lights it all looked good but i'll double check. you think i should try a new battery. it was working fine then just died the turn was a sharp turn. i'm baffled and about to pull my hair out. any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just from what you've described,it still could be a short or bare wire somewhere? Sometimes you have to really pull the sheathing loom off the harness and check really close.Plus pull the front panel. If you have a module close to the radiator,then you DON'T have the ecm module!! You would have just a regulator rectifier!(changed to ecm modules during mid 2004) To eliminate the battery after it's fully charged you can have it load tested at any auto store for a possible dead cell(plus is it a sealed battery or can you add distilled water?) Could be low and shorted out?? OPT

Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

i can add water to the battery. im going to go out and mess with all the wires again. I'll take the battery in and get it tested and try that. thanks, let ya know what i find. I really don't want to have to load it n take it in i live way up in the mountains and its a major pain. And i know once i get it there it'll be something minor. This seems to happen every winter with this thing. Also, with the red kill switch i can read were it's suppose to be i can move it into 3 different positions do you know which position it's suppose to be in?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

In the middle! Far left or far right is the emergency ignition kill position! This is a safety function that cuts all power! Please don't tell me you've had it in the off position!! OPT

Old 12-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

no, it's in the middle so that's not the problem i'm trying to clean all the plugs know and battery cables to see if that does anything. still having no luck, thanks again.