Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

CPI Bullet 90cc won't catch

Old 11-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPI Bullet 90cc won't catch

CPI Bullet 90cc. We've been riding it and it has run just fine. My son turned it off for a break and when he went back to it, it was dead. I looked it over and found one of the battery terminal screws had rattled loose. I tightened it down and the ignition wouldn't even fire. The key turns the quad on with power, the brake lights work when we pull the handle to start but it's like the push start ignition isn't working. I can jump the solenoid and it turns over but doesn't catch. I cannot figure out what's wrong.

It seems like a kill switch is on preventing the engine from catching. We've checked the two tether straps and they are pushed in completely.

Any clues? I would love to fix this!

Old 11-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pull the spark plug out. connect it to the coil wire, hold it to the jug/cylinder (to ground the spark plug), crank the engine. does the spark plug have spark? if not, you'll need to start testing the kill switch and the ignition wiring that you spoke of. there's a start. please make sure all of the safety interlocks are activated. examples: left hand brake engaged-illuminate the brake light so you know the brake interlock is activated. make sure, if applicable, the tether kill switch at the rear is in the proper position-not tripped. double check all wiring to/from battery and inline fuse. there's a start for ya!

Old 11-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there was no spark. But after going through the wiring, we found that the ignition button was pushed in and not springing back out. That's the first problem, so we manipulated the screw to get that connecting better. But we still couldn't get spark. Finally I pushed in the handlebar tether while firing and the darn thing fired right up! However, as soon as you let go of the handlebar tether/kill button, it kills. Is there a way to bypass this kill tether or fix this problem?

Old 11-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

unsure...... i'm not an electrician. BUT, i have messed with a couple of the tethers....i've used silicone lubricant so the in/out switch will not stick. that may be what you need to do. take the actual switch apart and lube it up and get it to work. besides, it may need an inspection if any wiring issues are present in there. i.e. loose connections....

Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Tether switches for chinese quads (but not eton quads) are bypassed by just unplugging the connector feeding the tether switch. Note that I'm talking about the *wires* going to the tether switch - not the tether "pull plug" that inserts into the switch.

The tether switch pull plug pushes on a switch plunger that holds the switch contacts *open*. When the plug is yanked off the switch spring *closed*, shorting the kill switch input to the CDI to ground and killing spark.

Thus unplugging the wires to the switch puts it into the "run" mode. Shorting the two wire together would put it into the "kill" mode.