1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

help diagnose stator

Old 11-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help diagnose stator

could someone please tell me how to test a stator i have for wires of it they are a yellow, white, green,yellow/blue wire
also how do you test a cdi?i have these wire coming from cdi on one plug i have a yellow/black, green, and a blue/white and other plug a black/red wire. i have only just bought this quad and dont no nothing about it,i havent seen it runnin and no there is no spark, i dont no if there is wires missing or what
need help asap goin to set it on fire lol

please help cheers chris,

Old 11-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

also does anyone have a wiring loom to this bike please

Old 11-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Chris,

What kind of quad? Is it Chinese? Do you know the engine size?

Does your CDI look like this:

Name:  CDI_Pinout.jpg
Views: 3668
Size:  27.7 KB

The following assumes the above picture is correct. If it isn't then say so and we will have to back track a bit. If I don't forge ahead on assumptions then we'll spend too much time waiting for each other to respond to every detail. I hope that makes sense.

The first thing to check is whether you have a DC powered CDI (I'm suspecting this). Unplug the CDI, turn on the ignition switch and measure the DC voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin in the wiring harness to ground in the above picture. If it reads 12 volts DC then you have a DC powered CDI. And if this is true then obviously it isn't an AC ignition power pin, but 2 connector 6 pin DC powered and AC powered CDI's look the same (except the DC powered ones are usually slightly bigger).

On DC powered CDI's the only stator connection that has anything to do with ignition is the Yellow/Blue wire. It would be the trigger pulse signal that tells the CDI when to fire the spark plug. The yellow and white wires would be the battery charge winding in the stator, and green is ground. Please make sure you didn't miss a black/red wire coming from the stator. That would change everything. Not a big deal, but it points out a different course of action then the one we're now on.

Concentrate on determining if the CDI looks like the picture above, and whether it is DC powered first. We can go from there.

If I'm going too fast tell me and I'll slow down. But you will need a voltmeter to figure this out. So get one ready...

Old 11-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

all I no is that it's a 150 it has epams on the side.I will check the Cdi when I get home and it does look like that

Old 11-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

And sorry I have no ignition barrel need to bridge wires

Old 11-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

all the wires in pieces could do with testing cdi off the bike
or do i just buy a new wiring loom,can any1 tell me what bike it is by the colour of the wwires
cheers chris
i thnk its a yamaha raptor

Old 11-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by gozrstubs
And sorry I have no ignition barrel need to bridge wires
How many wires do you have on the missing ignition switch?

Old 11-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by gozrstubs
all the wires in pieces could do with testing cdi off the bike
or do i just buy a new wiring loom,can any1 tell me what bike it is by the colour of the wwires
cheers chris
i thnk its a yamaha raptor
CDI's are tested by measuring all the inputs first to see they are correct, then making sure there isn't obvious problems with the output side. Then you change the CDI. But you have to get the right one - especially difficult in yout situation since you don't know yet whether to buy a DC or AC powered CDI. They look the same. You're going to have to do some measurements. Found a voltmeter yet?

Yamaha Raptor? I don't think so. Your quad says "epams" on the side, not Yamaha.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I have a voltmeter

Old 11-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Also how do you test stator as only have 3 wires to a connector block and ones separate

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help diagnose stator