Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda rancher blowing white smoke

Old 09-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda rancher blowing white smoke

Hey everyone,

I have a 2006 350 rancher. Earlier this year i got into some water that was a little too deep. needless to say i got water in my oil. Unfortunatly i was about 2 miles from the truck and was working so i had to drive it back...

I changed the oil about 10 times and flushed it with diesel to try to get all the water out. Eventually i could no longer see water in it.

The problem is now it blows white smoke when i rev it up. Could this be because i have not rode it enough and it just needs to be "blown out" or have i caused some major engine problems and if so what.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

My guess would be that it need rings. By the way you cannot bore a Honda rancher cylinder because it is bored at a angle from the factory. This is the problem I have had with mine. I bored it and put a new sleeve in it (stock bore) and a new piston and rings and after about 50 miles it started smoking so I bought niche cylinder and I was trying to see if they are any good. But I would say it's your rings I think they are around $40 on eBay or you can buy a new piston and rings and gasket set for around $100

Old 09-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

so does the cylinder need to be honed? or just drop the rings in it and break them in?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure were you got your information on not boring an honda rancher cylinder!! I have done hunderds of them without any problems, Honda does offer an oversized pistons,Why would they do that if couldn't bore!! Well here in my state they do...

Old 09-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

That's what the Honda mechanic told me from my local Honda shop when I took mine to him. He said you can bored them but the rings will only last about 200 miles no matter what kind of rings you put in it because they are bored at a angle. He said to look around and see if I could find one cheaper because they wanted almost $400 for a cylinder.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Well im not sure about your mechanic! I am an registered honda tech. I have bored hunderds of these an they have worked for 1000,s of miles...Oh well I don't have to prove anything here any ways! You may want to check out information before you post it here! Cause people goes here for information....

Old 09-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

Arkanasasrider IMO I would going into top end and measure cylinder and crank rod to see what kind of damage was done if any! IMO the ring prolly got super cold from the quick cool down,Also possible the cylinder got damaged also thats why you want to measure it! Prolly IMO if specs are off any at all than go to an auto movtive machine shop an get them to bore the size needed for an new oversized honda piston.I have learned thru the 40 years of atv repair that an hone or re-ring job is short lived!!Also alot of folks don,t measure the small end of rod and if the rod is out of specs by the manual than the new bore job and new piston wont last long!IMO and exsperence an good machinist and if get piston ring gap correct the atv will be fine IF all the measurements is perfect!! No fudging!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok, thanks scoot

So on average how much would that run with labor at 30 bucks an hour? know a honda mechanic that works from home too..

Old 09-09-2011, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top end on a Rancher ?? Can do them in my sleep. From rolling it up on my lift to stripping everything in the way off to access the engine and have that engine platform stripped down to the base gasket, roughly 20 to 25 minutes. Clean up, measure, and fitment of new parts (including new cylinder) along with digital torqueing and adjustments after reassembly.. right around 2 to 2 1/2 hours it would be driven out of my shop doors. If someone is re-ringing Hondas and they only last a few hundered miles, they shouldn't even be working on Briggs and Scrap-iron lawn mower engines... I have TRX300FW's out there that I re-ringed over 10 to 15 years ago and still going strong perspectively, being used daily on cattle ranches. I have these customers set-up on a service schedule. If ring sets are only LASTING that short time, there is something seriously, seriously wrong !! Wrong rings on pistons ? Wiseco or Lemans rings on a Honda piston... on down to being brain dead while honing and not removing a tip ridge that is too heavy or an out of round to scored cylinder which SHOULD be noted during the cylinder inspection and prep... I can forsee the failure rate from here...
If you simply crystalized a ring and it is not sealing, after piston and cylinder inspection, finding nothing out of spec, I don't see ANY reason why seasoning the cylinder and sizing a new set of rings to gap wouldn't cure that minor smoking issue... using the RIGHT parts... there is a right way and a wrong way to do everything. Are you sure all the oil has burned out of the exhaust system that was pushed through it ? Water in the oil moved the oil level up, driving it that way may have baked a coating on the underside of the piston that is burning off as the piston heats up under hard accelleration ? Maybe the rings washed out and are not reseating ? (just a few thoughts of what else causes that smoking that eventually goes away) Lots of stuff happens when oil from the crankcase gets up onto a hot piston... Have you done a cylinder leakage test to check if it even needs rings before tearing it down ??

~ Gimpster ~

Old 09-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

No i havent done a test yet. this is something i just noticed the other day. Its possible that there is either still bits of water in areas of the motor that have not flushed out yet i guess. And good point about coating on the pistons burning off too.

If i get a compression and leak down test run and it comes up ok do i just need to ride the hell out of it for a few hours and change the oil again until the smoking clears up?

Kinda afraid of doing that now without a test first because i do not want to cause futher damage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda rancher blowing white smoke