Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1987 Honda Foreman TRX 350D

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Honda Foreman TRX 350D

I need your help!!!!
I while ago I purchased a running 1987 Honda Foreman TRX 350D, which needed a ring and valve job, it smoked worst then a cheap cigar. So I tackled rebuilding the top end, which I thought went well. Until I tried to start it, the fuel pump wouldn't work. The problem is when I turn the ATV on I'm not getting any voltage to the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel cut relay, and checked for 12 volts to the relay which there is. There's a wire which runs from the CDI unit to the relay, what is the purpose of this line? When I turn the ATV on I'm not reading any power from that line, Would it shut off the power to the fuel pump? What tells the relay to stop supply power to the pump?
I've hit the pump with 12 volts and it dose start to click. I've checked the continuity for the whole wiring harness. Checked the grounds. It will run with a gravity feed to the carburetor, so the carbs ok. I have noticed while it's running that the fan is not coming on. Should it come on once the ATV starts? Or does the motor have to reach a set temp. before it kicks on? In the beginning I noticed that the fan fuse was bad, so I replaced it.
Last summer I gave up, and took it to a Honda ATV dealer to have this problem fixed, after 6 months of sitting there, I decided that they weren't interested in fixing it so I picked it up. I started this project last spring.
So here I sit, with hat in hand, asking for your help.
Thanks for your time,
Mark

Old 04-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the TRX350D the ignition/starter has to be energized for the fuel pump to work , if you turn the ignition on then push the starter button (even just for a second) the fuel pump should start ..

Remove the cover over the neutral/reverse/temp switches (right side just above the right foot rest) unplug the wires on the temp sensor and short the wires together (on the wire harness side) the fan should start with the ignition on .. I have a 1990 TRX350 and the fan very seldom comes on my average summer temperature is about 70* (20 cel) so if you live in a warmer climate it may come on more ...

Here are the tests ..
================================================== ================================================== ==========================

================================================== ================================================== ==========================

Old 04-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks HondaMechanic,

It's step 4 where I'm not getting any voltage to the fuel pump. At one time I was getting a small amount, but the manual states that you need at least 10.5 volts. So I bought a new battery thinking when I was working on the rebuild it went bad, plus I didn't know how old it was. That didn't work.
When I was doing the rebuild I cleaned out the housing that the fuel cut relay is in, because the cover was missing and it was packed with mud. I'm starting to think that the connector is bad. I took it apart while I was doing the rebuild, so that would explain why the pump stopped working. I've had that connector off probably fifty times redoing these tests, and I've been shoving wires into it so often that I really missed it up. Plus, I think you're saying that the wire from the CDI unit has nothing to do with turning on power or cutting of power for engine safety reasons. It's got to be that connector.
I tried to buy a new wiring harness from Honda Service, but Honda doesn't make them anymore. I'll try to buy an old harness off of Ebay, for the connector.

Thanks for your help,
Mark

Old 11-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1987 Honda Foreman TRX 350D"></title><script src=

I also have a 87 honda foreman 4x4 and it smokes like that cheap cigar. I just bought this thing and am thinking of doing the rebuild myself. How much of a job was it and what did you spend on it. As far as the fuel pump on my Honda. Someone did away with the electric pump and put in on that you would see on a boat or lawn mower engine. It is round with three ports. It looks like it uses crankcase pressure to suck on the diaphram. The bike runs great and no messing around with the elec pump.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

how do you remove starter on a 1987 honda trx350

Old 11-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default removing the starter

haha i just changed the starter in mine today. you have to remove the two bolts on the back of the starter( under the carb) it makes it way easier if you remove the carb. then remove the starter gear cover (small black cover on the outside of the engine infront of the starter) pull the middle gear out it slides right out(thats just to give you a little wiggle room) if you loosen the two phillips screws on the sides of the starter it helps as well. then you have to wiggle and turn the starter and it will come out (not easy) but it will go.