Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1996 Polaris Sportsman 400 given to me

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Polaris Sportsman 400 given to me

Hi All. I was given a 96 Sportsman 400 for "free" by a friend. He had it sitting around unused for years. He finally brought it to a Polaris dealer because of many problems and ended up being quoted $2400 to repair it, so he asked me if I wanted it. I couldn't refuse.

I can basically pull-start it after 3 attempts and it runs. The main issue is that it smokes horribly. My friend was told that the oil pump was rusted in an open position, causing all the smoke. At first, not knowing much about ATVs, I figured I'd "just replace the oil pump." After looking at the Hayes manual, it seems way out of my league.

There are many other issues with this Sportsman (brakes, starter, etc.) so I wanted to see if there was a "simple" way to possibly pre-mix my fuel instead. Is there a "simple" way to bypass the oil injector or am I just asking for more serious problems?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! "Simpliest" way is to drain the oil tank, remove the injector line at the carb manifold,get a new bolt and washer and block this opening. Then premix 40-1. If the stock split throttle cable is stiff or sticky replace with a single aftermarket cable! You don't want to have the throttle stick on you. Plus check/replace all fluids. OPT

Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Welcome to the forum! "Simpliest" way is to drain the oil tank, remove the injector line at the carb manifold,get a new bolt and washer and block this opening. Then premix 40-1. If the stock split throttle cable is stiff or sticky replace with a single aftermarket cable! You don't want to have the throttle stick on you. Plus check/replace all fluids. OPT
OPT - Thanks for the info. This definitely sounds simple enough to do. In your opinion, is this something I should consider doing or am I just asking for more problems?

Old 09-01-2011, 04:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the oil pump is frozen/corroded and you don't want to replace it,then its something you need to do to get proper oil to the engine. OPT

Old 09-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ideally, I'd like to change the oil pump. I have two manuals.....one that covers 96-2003 Polaris Sportsman & Xplorer. I then have the Haynes manual. When it comes to the replacing the oil pump, one says I need to remove the engine from the frame and the other says that the engine can remain on the frame. Since this thing has so many problems, I figured I'd take the simplest way out but if it was fairly easy to replace the oil pump, I'm all for it.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Engine can stay in the frame,BUT you need to have good,nimble fingers,PLUS a hand impact driver is very handy on the hard to reach and sometimes very tight oil pump cover body screws and oil pump screws!(without stripping the heads out) OPT

Old 09-02-2011, 08:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Hope your manual is not like mine. Mine covers
Sportsman 400 2001-2003
Sportsman 500 1996-2003
Xplorer 500 1997

All those motors are 4 strokes not 2 strokes like a 96 Sportsman 400.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, it turns out I may not have to replace the oil pump. I was able to remove the cover and felt that the oil pump was not rusted in the open position, as I was told. As soon as I removed the throttle cable, the oil pump closed and the spring appears to be functioning fine. I just ordered a new throttle cable. The portion of the cable that is going to the oil pump was completely jammed....full of rust and breaking apart.

So, while I wait for a new throttle cable, I'll see if I can tackle the starter issue. When I click the start button, I basically get a single click from the starter solenoid. The strange thing about it is that I suddenly started hearing the starter motor and it started up! When I turned it off and tried again, I got the single click again. Could it be as simple as a battery issue? I have tried to start it with the button many times since getting this sportsman and to hear it suddenly start really surprised me!

Old 09-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just charge the battery Or get a new one if needed and see if the starter works ok. If starter still runs slow or barely at all,may need to be cleaned/repaired /or replaced! There are several places online you can find new starters as low as $69 dollars(DB Electrical Starters is one) makes em not even worth taking the old starter apart and cleaning or replacing the brush kit OR you can can get a starter/bendix package reasonable! PS before you remove the starter JUST tap on the starter body while trying to crank,may free it up if its been sitting up awhile(flat spot on armature,brushes sticking ,etc)! OPT

Old 09-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Looking for any advise

Looks like bjjones74 and I are in a similar boat...... i recently acquired a 1996 sportsman 400 4x4 two stroke as well. Problem is its been sitting for some time and i dont have any manuals for it at all. Now I dont mean to sound super dumb, but I have to ask since i cant find an oil filter......do you change engine oil in this year ATV? Im thinking you dont.... but thought id better ask....also can anyone refer me to some place i cant get a copy of or at least information from the owners/service manuals? Thanks in advance....Any help would be greatly appreciated. P.s this is my first ATV so ..........

Quick Reply: 1996 Polaris Sportsman 400 given to me