1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Hensim 150 CC not shifting right.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hensim 150 CC not shifting right.

Hi all I am new to this site. I recently got a 150 CC Sport ATV Hensim. And it does not seem to be shifting out of Drive or Reverse back to Neutral. Any ideas?

Also what type of oil do I use in this ATV?

Old 08-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Range Rover

hey man i have a hensim 150cc to, do you think you could take a couple pictures of the back of the quad? im trying to see how the autochoke connection colors go. thankss

Old 08-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by msvede
Hi all I am new to this site. I recently got a 150 CC Sport ATV Hensim. And it does not seem to be shifting out of Drive or Reverse back to Neutral. Any ideas?

Also what type of oil do I use in this ATV?
It is sticking in drive or reverse? You can't get the lever arm to move back into neutral? There is a mechanical interlock in the shifting arm that makes you pause in neutral before going from reverse to drive (and vice versa).

Or are you always seeming to be in neutral no matter where the shift lever is? In this case your CVT drive belt is probably broken (it's under the left engine side cover).

I use valvoline 10w-40, and change the oil every 15 hours of engine operation.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by pvillefball421
hey man i have a hensim 150cc to, do you think you could take a couple pictures of the back of the quad? im trying to see how the autochoke connection colors go. thankss
There are only two wires to the autochoke. One is ground, and the other is an auxillary 12 volt output from the 5 pin voltage regulator. Since you are asking for pic's of the back of the quad I'm assuming you are referring to the connections at the regulator.

Here is a wiring diagram of my 2008 Hensim 150cc quad. It is 100% accurate since I traced out the whole thing myself after I couldn't find a wiring diagram for my quad (the autochoke wire from the regulator is red/white on my quad):

Name:  QuadSchematic1.jpg
Views: 14240
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  QuadSchematic2.jpg
Views: 4454
Size:  66.4 KB

Old 08-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Range Rover

thank you so much for the pics

Old 08-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Shifting?

Lynn it will shift from Forward the lever is tough to get in but it will go. It just does not seem to get into neutral though. THe lever will shift to N but it will still be in F or R depending on what you were in last. Any ideas??

Old 08-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lynn it will shift from Forward the lever is tough to get in but it will go. It just does not seem to get into neutral though. THe lever will shift to N but it will still be in F or R depending on what you were in last. Any ideas??

Old 08-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by msvede
The shift lever you work with your hands pulls on a cable which moves a lever back and forth on the Forward/Neutral/Reverse [FNR] gear box (where the engine drive sprocket attaches). The movement of this lever is adjustable, and its proper adjustment is critically important.

The first question on my mind is whether the shift lever cable is moving the FNR gear box lever through its full range, or if there is something wrong in the gear box itself.

Look at the shift cable at each end and look for anchor points that are loose or broken. Look for slack in the cable movement where you move the hand operated shift lever, but the FNR gear box lever doesn't move. This would be a problem that needs to be fixed.

You can also disconnect the cable from the FNR gear box and move the lever manually with the rear wheels jacked up off the ground to test its operation. Please be *really* careful with a jacked up quad. This can be dangerous - both because of spinning machinery (with a lot of inertia) that you can get caught up in, and because a quad with spiining wheels can take off if it falls off the jack stands. Tether the quad, keep the forward path clear, and stay away from all moving parts.

If the FNR is not quite adjusted right the quad will lurch in either forward or reverse because the partially engaged gears will attempt to climb out of gear. This is especially prevalent under load (like going up a hill). But it sounds like your problem is much more severe than slight misadjustment.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by pvillefball421
thank you so much for the pics
You're welcome .

Old 08-22-2011, 12:45 AM
Range Rover

i dont want to jack your thread but i just ordered a new starter relay because when i put my key in it didn't make a ticking sound. i don't think its the battery because when i connected my battery to a 2 amp charger the gauge read 100..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hensim 150 CC not shifting right.