Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Kodiak leaking carb

Old 08-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Yamaha Kodiak leaking carb

Hi all
My Yamaha kodiak like many other yamaha kodiaks is leaking from the overflow line but only leaks while driving over rough ground or if i shake it violently while holding the handlebar and carrier causing it to go off level. This suggests to me that the fuel level in the bowl and the overflow stand pipe are too close to each other and the only variable here is the float.The problem is not caused by the inlet valve because if it were it would be leaking constantly. Could this be a basic design fault and if so has anybody had contacted Yamaha about this common problem.Is there a contact available for Yamaha, please let me know.
Paul.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Leaking Kodiak carb resolved

Hi all.
Since last writing I have resolved the leaking carb problem and feel i should share the infirmation with other frustrated members. It all comes down to a faulty petrol (gas)filler cap which although it is capable of allowing air into the tank to relieve vacuum it is not capable of relieving excess pressure. This pressure which is generated by movement and heat, similar to coke can, now exerts pressure on the needle fill valve and overcomes the float thus flooding the bowl to the point of overflow.When the fuel tank filler cap is removed this process imeadiatly stops and the bike can be shaken violently and tilted to an angle of 45 degrees without loosing a drop.
Ps, Hope this is of help.

Paul.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

The gas cap has a device under it which either allows air flow in, or allows it out (not totally sure about this). Anyway, I experienced a problem back in March/April when my atv kept stalling out shortly after starting it. I took off the gas cap and it would start up and run right, but operating without a gas cap is not a wise move. So I figured maybe the metal device that is under the cap was dirty or clogged. I first romoved the rubber hose from the tank cap and that did nothing, then I took my compressed air line from my compressor and blew air into the under side of the cap and then put cap back on and started it up. It ran fine from there out. I was thinking that condensation froze in the cap causing the air restrictions. This only happened to me when it was cold out and during late winter /early spring season.