Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Polaris 500 Battery Drain Problem

Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Polaris 500 Battery Drain Problem

My neighbor has the subject ATV that will drain the battery overnight when even a new battery is installed! When it is started up, the dash display will indicate HOT right away for some reason too. This is a carb type model and not fuel injected so I do not know if it has an ECM.
Question is, why does it show HOT when started up cold? What could be draining the battery?
Anyone had a similar experience with these?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

ECM is my best guess!! Even its been replaced under recall,the replacements can go out! Especially if the battery is draining down over night,this is one of the symptoms that the ecm caused.Plus showing HOT when cold was another symptom as the ecm mainly controlled the charging and fan operation, and also will do this with a low voltage battery! PLUS I would have the battery load tested first as it may be just a bad battery in this case? If the battery(after charging) load tests ok,then I would go after the ecm module! OPT

Old 07-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
ECM is my best guess!! Even its been replaced under recall,the replacements can go out! Especially if the battery is draining down over night,this is one of the symptoms that the ecm caused.Plus showing HOT when cold was another symptom as the ecm mainly controlled the charging and fan operation, and also will do this with a low voltage battery! PLUS I would have the battery load tested first as it may be just a bad battery in this case? If the battery(after charging) load tests ok,then I would go after the ecm module! OPT
The ECMs on those year models were 100% JUNK.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Does this model have an ecm?

Does models like this with a carb not fuel injection have an ecm? What does it control and where is it located?
He got this atv second hand and does not know if the ecm was changed, how can you tell? When was the recall?
Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-30-2011, 02:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The carb models are the problem. They have the ECM module. Its main function is for charging back to the battery and also the cooling fan operation,plus if it goes out problems can happen all the way up to shorting out and catching on fire! Look under the front cover,if the finned module is BLACK,go to the nearest dealer and Polaris HAS to replace it! Its a safety bulletin recall! If its a big SILVER module,then its been replaced,BUT even those have gone out also!! Check charging while running,should be 14-14.5 volts.If its charging,have the battery load tested as it may just be the problem.If its not charging even with the silver module,then it could be bad and need to be replaced again! I've replaced multiple modules on some machines! OPT

Old 07-30-2011, 06:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just have him check for a recall through a dealer w/ his vin# to find out if the ecm has been replaced. some other peole had the same issues w/ thier bike w/ battery drainage.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
! Look under the front cover,if the finned module is BLACK,go to the nearest dealer and Polaris HAS to replace it!
You sure about that? They did have a recall on these but only for certain year models and vin numbers. Our local dealer says they will not replace them unless they fit into this category. I just asked them about a 2004.5 Sportsman and they said NO!

I hope you are right because I have several friends and customers that still have this piece of junk on their machines.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Overdrive
You sure about that? They did have a recall on these but only for certain year models and vin numbers. Our local dealer says they will not replace them unless they fit into this category. I just asked them about a 2004.5 Sportsman and they said NO!

I hope you are right because I have several friends and customers that still have this piece of junk on their machines.
2006 model 450 Sportsman, 500 sportsman,and the 700 were on the list. Plus I replaced a bunch that even were not on the list!! OPT
The expanded list goes from 2004 to 2006! Look under ATV Quad News under recalls.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ECM Cost and Installation

You guys are really a help to me, I am learning a lot from you. Sounds like my friend's ecm is shot. Question now is can he just go to the dealer and buy one and install it himself or does it require some programming or other special procedure to install. Also what is the rough cost of them at the dealer?
He has tried different batteries but has not checked the charging voltage yet.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by ccrider966
You guys are really a help to me, I am learning a lot from you. Sounds like my friend's ecm is shot. Question now is can he just go to the dealer and buy one and install it himself or does it require some programming or other special procedure to install. Also what is the rough cost of them at the dealer?
He has tried different batteries but has not checked the charging voltage yet.
JUST check the charging first to see if its the battery or not!!!! 14-14.5 volts while running. If NOT charging then its more than likely the ecm. If has the BLACK finned module(either look under the panel or call in the vin # to the dealer to see if its been replaced) It can be replaced FREE!! If it has the SILVER module,its up to the dealer if he will "go to bat for you or not" on Polaris replacing a second module at cost! Cycle Parts Warehouse has the # 2203348 module for $131.63+ shipping. This #replaces the bad #4011110 module! This is probably cheaper than the dealer. Comes with instructions and there is NO sort of programming needed! OPT

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Polaris 500 Battery Drain Problem