Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman stuck in reverse

Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman stuck in reverse

Hope the group can help. I have a 1999 sportsman 500 that is stuck in reverse. Started and loaded fine this morning, unloaded no issues. Went about a mile in low range at low speed, shifted into reverse and it's still there. Backed it out of the trail and back on the trailer. Machine moves fine in reverse, and I can push it forward at idle or with engine shut off. Tried removing shift rods and moving shift levers by hand with no luck.
I don't want to force it, but it's looking like it might not hurt to try!!!! I think it is probably internal.
Anything common with this machine? I have owned this machine for about a year and this is the first problem, never had any issue getting into gear or out of gear.
Thanks in advance
Steve

Old 07-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just remove linkage rods from the shift box,take a hammer handle,knock trans lever back in to neutral,OR you can use a large pliers to shift back.Have shift box in neutral(may have to "pop" shift lever with your palm if stuck in reverse),adjust linkage ends to where they just "fall" in the shift box arms with no resistance. This is usually a "temp" fix as most of the time there are worn parts in the shift box that need replacing OR if the shift lever has a large amount of slack back and forth in neutral,at times cheaper to replace the shift box assy.. I've had dozens come in with locked transmissions,some just needed adjusting, others needed to have the shift box problems addressed. You can also change the fluid in the box and see if it helps. This was a common problem on the old shift boxes until the straight line shifters came out.Plus make sure the aluminum linkage arms on the transmission (belcranks) are tight and not stripped. OPT

Old 07-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks

Well OPT, you have solved another one. As you suggested, there was a little bit of play everywhere. Once I took the shift rods off, it came out of reverse with a tiny bit of assistance (way less then I thought that I might need). There was play in the lever that is mounted on the shaft that goes inside the transmission, there was a tiny bit of play where the rod joined the lever at the back, and even more at the shifter end of the rod. I adjusted everything as you suggested and tightened it up......shifts like butter. I was so frustrated when it happened that I don't think that I took a close look at the shifter end of things, just at the back. Looked after the low range lever while I was at it, but little or no play there.
I realize that I still may have bigger issues, but for now it shifts fine. Fingers crossed it may last me a while.
Thanks again,
Steve

Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yep, having opt on our forum is a great asset w/ his years as a tech on polaris is greatly helpful for sure.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stendori
yep, having opt on our forum is a great asset w/ his years as a tech on polaris is greatly helpful for sure.
+1

Old 07-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
+1
+2...3 or 4 times!!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
+1
Originally Posted by bigcam400
+2...3 or 4 times!!
OPT!

Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stuck in reverse

I seem to have the only sportsman that doesn't want to play nice. I have an '04 500 Sportsman. I was plowing snow, using low and reverse, and suddenly it didn't want to come out of reverse. I tried all of the suggestions above with no avail. I took the linkage off and tried to move the shifting arm by hand. It still will not come out of reverse. I noticed a yellow dip stick to the rear of the gear box that i did not know was there. Out of curiosity I pulled it and it was bone dry. Could this be the problem?

Old 04-18-2013, 01:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

How long have you had this machine? Just use a pair of vicegrips on the shift lever and as you rock the atv back and forth see if you can move the shift arm into neutral.If it does,drain what fluid may be left (if any)and install about 20 ounces Polaris AGL then check the dipstick.If this doesn't help then you may have internal problems.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Still stuck

OPT. I tried filling up the gear box with the gear oil you recommended. I ran it in reverse on jack stands. I even ran it up and down the road in reverse. I've exhausted all of the ideas from above and some of my own as well. I Fear the next option is to take it to the shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportsman stuck in reverse