Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brake fluid leaking out of rear brake?

Old 05-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fluid leaking out of rear brake?

I take my Scrambler out of storage yesterday for preparation for next weeks trip. I start it several times a winder so that is no problem. I have owned this since 2000. My son rides it around the back of the house and I pressure wash it with my new toy. I wash this quad at least once a year this way. I now tell him to ride to the shop for maintenance. He get it in the shop and NO brakes. I pump the lever and hear a leak and I see fluid by the rear master cylinder reservoir. I pull the side covers and fill both reservoirs and first pump the foot lever, no pedal but I never use it any way. I pump the hand lever and fluid comes out the rear reservoir seal? Is there a check valve some where that is bad and causing this. I cant believe washing it made any difference. Need to get this fixed soon. Leaving for Wisconsin for 3 days of riding Thursday.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Probably need to replace small master cylinder for foot brake if you can't bleed the air out. They usually bleed down from non use,but seals will dry out also and leak. Every now and then I would use the rear brake just to stop this from happening,plus you could need it in an emergency someday,if you ever lost the front master cylinder for any reason,such as a wreck,etc and only have the emergency brake left. Seems like I had to bleed a lot of rear brakes every spring and fall from people just relying on hand brake only! Don't know if this is your problem,but sounds like it! Even though the front hand brake operates the front calipers and also the rear,more pressure is reserved for the front calipers. You can also use the foot brake along with the hand brake on steep down hills to put more pressure on rear caliper. Most people just don't use the foot brake period! You can also have rear caliper seal problem,may need new seals?? As a TEMPORARY measure you might be able to find a plug for rear caliper line at a good hardware store and block off?? and just bleed front hand brake if you can?? Just a thought OPT

Old 05-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

I pulled the rear caliper and my brake pads are toast. I pushed back the pistons and jammed a shim in between them. It is now not leaking? I look in my stock and had 4 pair of front pads and no rears. I ordered rears and hope that takes care of my problem. Still does not make goods sense to me but I guess if it works then I dont care.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hope it does too! OPT

Old 05-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Range Rover

Name:  2011-05-11_21-53-22_202.jpg
Views: 2728
Size:  49.1 KB
When the pads wear out the piston comes out too far. Some how it got cut. High pressure washer pushed piston back? I bought a seal kit and an hour later it is fixed. thanks OPT!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yep,they do that sometimes! Slimy job! Brake fluid,antifreeze,wheel bearing grease,NOT my favorite jobs. Good luck with the new seals and pads. OPT