carberator adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carberator adjustments

help with a 2008 (Brand/Tao tao)Model:ATA 110 quad: for fine tuning the carb and the position of the choke arm is it up for on /and down for off ? do you have a picture diaphram for the carberator for this model, any help would be greatly appreciated, tnks

Old 05-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your question has been selected by the editors for our Ask the Editor column!

Originally Posted by atvconnection
The trouble with brands like Tao Tao is that accurate documentation of their components can be nearly impossible to find. There is no dedicated dealer network to fall back on for such info either. They can (and do) alter specifications without notice.

That said, here is a photograph containing the information you seek on what is said to have been the carb used on most 110 cc Tao Tao ATV models in 2008.
To read the rest of the response, click here!

Thank you for submitting your question.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vickyseattle
help with a 2008 (Brand/Tao tao)Model:ATA 110 quad: for fine tuning the carb and the position of the choke arm is it up for on /and down for off ? do you have a picture diaphram for the carberator for this model, any help would be greatly appreciated, tnks

Listen man I bought my little girl a Tao-Tao Mini Eagle 110cc, and the best thing I ever did was change out Carburetors. The stock 20mm Carb is Junk and it has almost adjustments and the Chinese Manufactures lean them way out in order to meet EPA regs in the United States. Do what I did and Buy a Mikuni VM-26 26mm Round Slide Carb and get a #32.5 Pilot jet and a 50, 60 ,70 , 80 Main Jet.

I did a ton of research on the different brands of Chinese ATV's before I bought them and the weak points are:

Change The Oil after 1 hour of use. Use Mobil-1 10W-40 ATV Oil.
Junk Stock 20mm Carburetor
Cheap restrictive exhaust with EGR
Loose nuts and bolts
Junk Tires
Painted Frame
NO Air Box

So this is what I did and my little girl (7yr old) has put about 100hrs on hers and I haven't done anything but change the oil, clean the air filter, and add gas.

As soon as I ordered the Quad I got on eBay and bought a 110 Chinese Scooter Air box ($15.00), a UNI Filter ($17.00), UNI Filter Lid Inserts ($10.00), a Honda 400EX battery mount ($8.00), and a FMF Power Core 4 exhaust (head Pipe and Silencer $61.00) for a Yamaha Raptor 50. When it came in I went ahead and disassembled the Quad almost down to the bare frame, I replaced every nut I could find with nylon lock nuts (12.00) and I used RED Permatex Loc-Tite as well.

Then I bolted the exhaust and Air filter Box on. The FMF Exhaust went right in place with very little modification.

Then I called up the Local Yamaha Dealer and got there break in procedure, and I broke the motor in properly. (Message me if you need the brake in directions) I changed the oil and used good Synthetic ATV oil.

The four wheeler ran great for a couple of weeks and I started having Carb issues so I got back on eBay and bought a Mikuni VM-26 26mm Carburetor ($32.00), Mikuni Super-Flow 26mm Intake ($4.00) and put together a jet kit ($18.00).

While the quad was down and I was waiting on parts I went ahead and took a chance and ported the cylinder. I had bought a very in depth CD that explained porting and the tools needed off eBay for people who had the ***** to take the chance. One section covered porting round intake and exhaust ports on 4-Stroke engines. It even had a Calculator where you entered the Bore, Stroke, Carburetor Size, and other information and it told you exactly how much material needed to be removed (in mm) for a drag port or trail port. I was proud of my self It looked like a professional job. i even took the time to Port and Polish the new Mikuni Carburetor Intake when it came in, and all I had to have to port a round port was a Heavy Duty Dremel Tool, a Dremel Tool Tri-Pod, Drum Brake Boring Bar Tool, and three different sizes Flex Hones. Porting a round intake port was fairly easy I just had to take my time and go slow, that being said there is no way in hell I would attempt a Square or oval shaped port like my Banshee Cylinders have.

When I got the Carb in I realized it wasn't going to fit so I ordered a Carburetor Adjustable intake Base ($8.00) and a Cool Head ($25.00) "Head Plate" from ADA Performance for a Honda TRX-90 (Remember just about all the bolt ons for a Honda TRX-70/90 Engine will work because the Tao-Tao Engine is a Honda Clone) I bolted those parts on as well as a NGK Iridium Spark Plug ($9.00), tuned the new Mikuni Carburetor and I had a whole different beast! My little girl smokes all the name brand Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Polaris 50's, 80's, 90's.

Then she started wanting to trail ride with me (04 Yamaha Banshee) and my brother (1989 TRX-250R) and the tiny tires and wheels were causing the frame to bottom and kept getting stuck. So I contacted ITP and I bought four Polished Aluminum T-9 Wheels with the funky 3 lug wheel bolt pattern 8X8 wheels for the rear and two 8X7 wheels for the front and had them wrapped in a set of 16X7-8 and 16X6.5-8 ITP Quad Cross XC Tires ($190).

I ran into a problem with the brake drum that built into the front wheels so I sent them to a friends machine shop and Had the weld a piece of Aluminum Pipe the same size as the brake drum on the back side of both front wheels. The quad pulls the bigger tires and wheels with ease and it gave her about 10mph on top end. When I had the Machine shop mod the front wheels for the front brakes I went ahead and had them make a set of full body skid Plates (a arms, belly, and swing arm) out of light gauge Aluminum to protect the painted frame. I ended up buying the mounting brackets from DG ($22.00).

Her little Chinese quad turned out great I've got a bunch of people wanting to buy it when she out grows it and upgrades to a bigger Sport Quad. The bottom line is the Chinese Tao-Tao ATV's are good bikes the things I replaced and upgraded I would have probably ended up doing on a Name Brand Quad anyway other than the Air Box because she wants to run Youth Hare Scrambles in the 8yr-10yr old beginner class. Even after I modded the quad I only have roughly $420 in parts and I payed $539 for the bike (This amount includes all shipping cost). So I have $960 tied up in it and thats less than half the MSRP price of a Yamaha Raptor 80.

I have a few other things I'll probably end up doing to enhance the performance of the quad before she out grows it. I can get a Mega Cam for the Honda TRX-90 off eBay for $50 and I want to put a Forged Wiseco Piston ($36.00), a trued and welded crank ($169), a clutch kit ($80), wheel spacers ($30), and maybe a TRX-90 Performance Shock upgrade ($?.??) on it. If I get that stuff done done before shes 10 or 11 years old she will have a bad bike that I would put up against any modded Youth Quad Chinese or Japanese made.