1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

coolster 3050D 110CC

Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolster 3050D 110CC

get no spark at plug, replaced CDI, spark wire, spark plug, and relay, i get no current to CDI, checked kill switch (left handle bar with light switch), looked without defects, disconnected alarm but nothing, I did notice that minimal current comes out of the regulator, but I am confused on what can be the problem, any ideas?

Old 02-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by frustrated79
get no spark at plug, replaced CDI, spark wire, spark plug, and relay, i get no current to CDI, checked kill switch (left handle bar with light switch), looked without defects, disconnected alarm but nothing, I did notice that minimal current comes out of the regulator, but I am confused on what can be the problem, any ideas?
does it crank/turn over? not familiar with your model of quad so i got questison. i presume you've checked the tether kill cable if applicable? that'll kill it also. fuses off of the battery good? if applicable. hmmmmm. sometimes brake lights etc... are a safety on these smaller machines.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

this model has no tether, and the fuse was replaced with a new one, the engine does crank, i did notice what appeare to be pieces of copper wire in the oil when i changed it, so it may have internal issues, but i still have notice that there is low power at the CDI connector sometimes none at all, i have a new set of the wire harness coming in, it seems like his is a very common problem with foreign atv's, but i will keep trying, thanks for the suggestions.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Does your CDI have 4 pins or 5 pins?

Name:  4pinCDI.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  50cc-cdi.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  19.2 KB

Old 02-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

its a 5 pin, any ideas what could be the prob?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Electrical Expert

The first thing to do is eliminate all kill switches abd kill switch wiring:

Method 1) Unplug the CDI and remove the kill switch pin in the CDI connector on the wiring harness. The pin is held in with a spring tab on the pin itself. You'll have to probe into the connector and push this tab in order to extract the pin. Plug the CDI back in (kill switch wire dangling) and see if you have spark.

Method 2) Unplug the CDI. Turn on the ignition switch and set all kill switches to the run position. Use a meter to measure resistance in of the kill switch pin in the wiring harness connector to engine/frame ground. If the reistance is infinite on the 100K ohm scale then your kill switches/kill switch wiring are OK. If you measure zero ohms then you have a kill switch/wiring issue.

The other inputs your CDI needs to make spark are AC Ignition Power, and the Trigger signal. Do the following:

1) Unplug the CDI. In the wiring connector measure the resistance of the AC Ignition Power pin to the Ground pin. You should see 400 ohms or so. What do you measure?

2) Measure the resistance of the Timing/trigger pin to the ground pin. You should measure 150 ohms or so. What do you measure?

3) Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 100 volt scale. Measure the voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin to the ground pin while cranking the engine. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC while the engine is cranking. What do you measure?

4) Set your meter to measure AC volts on the lowest scale you have. Ideally this would be 2 volts but many meters don't go down this low. In that case use the lowest scale you have. Measure the voltage on the Timing Trigger pin to the Ground pin while cranking the engine. You should 0.2 t0 0.4 volts AC. What do you measure?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I unplugged the kill switch wire but no spark, here are the results you asked for,

the resistance from the kill switch pin to frame ground was 003

from the AC pin (wire connector) to ground pin there was no reading the meter stayed at 1,

the timming pin to ground was 126-128 (it would vary)

the volts from AC pin to ground while cranking was 22

the timimg trigger to ground while cranking was 02

so does this help, I suspect its a wiring harness issue.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Electrical Expert

My comments in Blue:

I unplugged the kill switch wire but no spark, here are the results you asked for,

0.003 what? This sounds wrong. The scale setting you used in important. What scale setting where you uing when doing this test?

from the AC pin (wire connector) to ground pin there was no reading the meter stayed at 1,

Again I suspect the scale setting here. A "1" means you weren't using a high enough scale or it is an open circuit (meaning a broken wire connection somewhere). But you also measured AC voltage further down (all be it somewhat low), but indicates it isn't a broken connection. Move your meter to a higher ohms scale and see it you get something other than "1" in the left most digit.

the timming pin to ground was 126-128 (it would vary).

This sound OK

This is low, but at least it is not zero. Lets come back to this if necessary.

0.02 what? What scale were you using? What does the switch say on the meter?

so does this help, I suspect its a wiring harness issue.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

unplugged the kill switch wire but no spark, here are the results you asked for,

0.003 what? This sounds wrong. The scale setting you used in important. What scale setting where you uing when doing this test?

I used a 200K setting since my meter did not have a 100K, and it read 3 on that scale

Again I suspect the scale setting here. A "1" means you weren't using a high enough scale or it is an open circuit (meaning a broken wire connection somewhere). But you also measured AC voltage further down (all be it somewhat low), but indicates it isn't a broken connection. Move your meter to a higher ohms scale and see it you get something other than "1" in the left most digit.

I rechecked this one again and could not get a reading the scale goes from 200 to 2000K and no reading on any on the points.

This sound OK

.02 volts

I seem to get no power to the CDI, even with a test light there is no power, i receive the new wiring harness and no luck.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Electrical Expert

My responses in green...

unplugged the kill switch wire but no spark, here are the results you asked for,

I used a 200K setting since my meter did not have a 100K, and it read 3 on that scale

This still sounds too low. I would try disconnecting this pin from the CDI connector (as outlined before), then see if you have spark. But there are other problems below that need to be figured out as well.

I rechecked this one again and could not get a reading the scale goes from 200 to 2000K and no reading on any on the points.

This is wrong. You should be measuring the resistance of the AC power winding in the stator of about 400 ohms. If you don't have power you will not get spark. But you get 22 volts (low) when cranking... Try measuring the resistance again between the AC Ignition Power pin to engine ground this time. I wonder if there is a ground problem in the wiring to the CDI. Also try measuring the resistance of the ground pin in the CDI connector to engine ground.

This sound OK

.02 volts

This is too low. Again I wonder about a ground problem at the CDI. Try measuring this voltage again from the Timing Trigger pin to engine ground while cranking the engine.

I seem to get no power to the CDI, even with a test light there is no power, i receive the new wiring harness and no luck.

Everything in your ignition system is powered by AC voltages ranging from fractions of a volt to hundreds of volts AC. Test lights are worthless for these types of measurements. An oscilloscope is the proper tool tool to use, but we have to do the best we can with what is available to ordinary people. A meter provides some useful data - a test light provides none.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coolster 3050D 110CC