Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

where, how, to replace a drive belt

Old 02-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where, how, to replace a drive belt

I am very a very new rider/owner, plus I am a girl, so I have very limited knowlege on these machines. I ride a Polaris Sportsman 500HP, 4x4, EBS. I am not sure what year it is, but I bought it used. It has worked flawlessly for 5 months on our ranch but the other day while riding down the road there was a pop noise and quit going forward. Can't see anything, but don't even know where to look. I am assuming its the drive belt. Does anyone care to help me work on this, or should I take it to a shop.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

If your mechanically inclined or have someone around who is, replacing the belt is very simple. You'll have to take the footwell off and your clutch cover off of course. Then it's just a matter of rolling the new belt on/off like a by-cycle chain. Here's a video, The guy here takes the primary off in the video but it's not necessary just to change a belt.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...uBYBPg&cad=rja
What caused the belt to fail? Are you riding or working it hard at low speeds in high range?
Low speed or work should always be done in low range up to 10-15 mph.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with using low especially when pulling, mudding, or not on an open trail at higher speeds. Belt change is pretty simple. Be sure once you have the cover off to inspect for debri/dust and remove. If the belt came apart look for pieces in the vent going out the top of the cover and in the clutches. If planning on doing your own maintenance(great way to save $) I suggest getting a repair manual. They can be found pretty reasonable on ebay and make life a lot easier.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Wink Thanks

Thanks guys, I will look for a repair manual and watch the video! I'm sure it needs some maintenance. Where would I find a belt? I looked on a part site but there were several belts for the Sportsman 500HP.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

every website it seems has a different part number, the 500 has been around forever, so as long as u look up one with EBS, the belt will be the same, when u get everything tore apart make sure u blow out the clutch vent, it'll be where the clutch cover has the hose clamp at the top, don't want any pieces of the belt to get back in th clutches

Old 02-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by cajunsue
Thanks guys, I will look for a repair manual and watch the video! I'm sure it needs some maintenance. Where would I find a belt? I looked on a part site but there were several belts for the Sportsman 500HP.
My suggestion is buy the polaris brand belt. They seem to hold up better than some of the aftermarket belts out there. When you look up the part be sure you have the right year and with or without EBS.( Some years didn't have a non EBS some did) Heres a good example for a look up.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=C...bandit&cad=rja Best bet is to google Polaris atv drive belts for a search. Or get one from your dealer if you have one nearby.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the engine should still rev up but not move if the belt broke. i beleave there were differnt belts for the 500 ho depending on year of the bike so you can take your vin# off the frame and to the polaris dealer and get an eom belt for belt rsults if that is the issue. take off the clucth cover and check before you go buy the belt. imo

Old 02-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely want to spend the extra $ on a polaris belt. Learned my lesson the hard way years ago with a cheaper "heavy duty" one I bought aftermarket that didn't last 100 miles before shredding. Once you know what belt # you need try looking on ebay. Can get some great deals on there. When I had my 09 800 I got two new(polaris-not aftermarket) spares off there for $25 each(never needed them but it is always wise to carry a spare just in case).