Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

No papers? NY riders!

Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No papers? NY riders!

I'm still looking for that "right" ATV. There is a local listing for a 2005 trx450r. It does have aftermarket parts and runs fine. The listing is for $2800. The issue is that it doesnt come with paperwork... what is the downfall of that?

Old 01-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be stolen...Can't register/sticker it to ride on public land (state/federal run land)

Old 01-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is there anyway to get new paperwork on it? Or like a VIN #... I'm not to farmiliar with ATV's. If there was something like a vin # I'm assuming I could call dmv and find out if it is reported stolen

Old 01-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes,There is a vin. However I don't know where it is located on that quad. (Hopefully someone will chime in with that info.) Then have your local P.D. run a check on it. If it's clean, Go to the moter vehicles department and find out what you will need from the current owner to get it registered. Good Luck!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I really appreciate the help

Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the quad has never been reported as stolen, than you can take your bill of sale and a pencil rubbing of the vin to your local DMV and get it registered. You will have the pleasure of paying the sales tax to the great state of NY at that time as well. I have done it before, and it is just easier if you have an old, transferable registration. The registration doesn't have to be current either.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:48 AM
Trailblazer

This is from the NY state DMV website -

Hope it helps - good luck dealing with these guys !!!

All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs)

New: The acceptable proof of ownership is the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin or the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin.

Used: The acceptable proof of ownership is a NYS transferable registration, or a title certificate or registration document from another state. The person whose name appears on the proof of ownership must sign the transfer section of the proof of ownership.

If you purchase the ATV from a registered dealer, you must get a dealer's bill of sale. An acceptable bill of sale includes all of this information:

the name, mailing address, and registration number of the dealer,
your name and your mailing address,
the vehicle identification number of the ATV,
the year and make of the ATV,
the model name and the number of wheels on the ATV,
the information that indicates if the ATV is new or used, and
the information that proves that the dealer collected the correct amount of NYS sales tax.
If the ATV was never registered or the proofs of ownership are not available, complete form MV-51B (Affidavit of Ownership), and get a bill of sale from the current owner.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:22 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all you need around here is a bill of sale unless it's new- most atv's you buy used don't have paperwork. You can run the vin to confirm it's not stolen- then buy it and try to do a title search for $50. (well, in mass anyway) I've purchased a few atv's from NY that didn't come with any paperwork- there's always a way to make it work out, all they want is your tax money-

Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

In Texas, if you don't have a title to a vehicle, you can get what they call a Bonded Title. Ads about 400 bucks and few trips to the right people to get it done. But then again, we also only have a few public land areas that require you to have a registration sticker.

But the best advice has already been given. Due all you can to make sure it's not stolen. At the best if you buy it and find out later it was, you lose the quad and any money invested. You could use that as a bargaining tool also. Tell the person selling it you've researched this and it will cost (however much it would be there) that it would be fair to take that amount off the total cost. One things for sure, if it is stolen, they will not go for this idea at all.

Oh, get the information first too. If they stop talking to you right away, chances are it is stolen and you could just drop the info off with the local authorities.