Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

Polaris Ranger 4 Wheel Drive Problem

Old 12-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. Ranger 4-Wheel Drive Problem

2005 Ranger 500 4x4 - 4 wheel drive will not engage the front axle in reverse gear, I DO have 4WD in forward gears. I have 12v power to the front axle hilliard cage in reverse (engaged) but when I switch from forward to reverse gear it appears that the transmission disengages the front axle. Is it possible for the transmission to disingage the front axle or is there something broken in there?? Old Polaris Tech out there?
Thanks, Dante

Last edited by DHall; 12-26-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Add description
Old 12-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't know as much about Rangers but Polaris quads have a button that you push when in Reverse to override the speed limiter. If you don't push it and you try to back up quickly the quad will sputter and you can only do a few mph. It also doesn't engage AWD unless you push the button in reverse. I'm wondering if the Ranger you have has some kind of similar system. If so, push the button when in reverse to back up in AWD.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am familiar with the "button" from my Sportsman 500 days. No buttons to push on this Ranger, just a switch in 4WD and you should have it. I have 12V power to front axle hilliard in the reverse position, just nothing from the transmission.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Anybody can help DHall?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:49 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Sounds like the plastic roller cage may of broke,common on the newer centralized single Hillary's.

Here a link for the stronger Metal aftermarket roller cage. POLARIS RZR/Ranger/Sportsman SPRAGUE CARRIER / FRONT ROLLER CAGE #550

AND

ATV Source - Press Releases - 2008 - DragonFire Racing Polaris Ranger RZR New Products

Old 12-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by TLC
Sounds like the plastic roller cage may of broke,common on the newer centralized single Hillary's.

Here a link for the stronger Metal aftermarket roller cage. POLARIS RZR/Ranger/Sportsman SPRAGUE CARRIER / FRONT ROLLER CAGE #550

AND

ATV Source - Press Releases - 2008 - DragonFire Racing Polaris Ranger RZR New Products
TLC, if the hillyard cage is broken would he have 4wd in the forward gears?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Do a roller cage "search",when the cages break ,you can have AWD in one direction and not the other.

From what I read.

Here one , Broke roller cage put still has AWD. http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...matically.html

Here's another http://atvfrontier.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=24758.html

Not necessarily true. My brother rode his all day after we discovered the problem. Had 4wd in high and low, just not in reverse. The rollers would engage normally in forward. The Override button worked fine and we got the flashing "SLOW" as is normal, just no 4wd in reverse.
The dealer checked everything electrical before disassembling the Hillard and finding the cage cracked.
I yanked the front diff out yesterday and popped the top off and took a look inside. The cage was cracked in numerous places and it probably was on it's last leg's working in forward gears too. I took it the diff to my dealer and they are going to try to put the repair through under "good will repair". If they don't repair it under warranty I'll just take my diff back and order the cage and install it myself. Thank's of all the suggestion's but everything i done kinda leaned to that front cage being pooched......and it was.