3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

taotao.....good or bad?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taotao.....good or bad?

I am looking to buy two tao tao 135 atv for my kids. Have been reading a lot of good and a lot of bad about the tao tao atvs on various forums.

Is it possible much of the bad is from older units and much of the good from newer units that were improved/better built?

Also, one online dealer told me that jetmotto no longer makes kid atvs so tao tao took over one of their factories... Dealer said he now only buys the models made from this paticular factory because he believes there is a higher level of quality.

So, is it possible to get a higher quality tao tao 135 or 125 that is reliable for a few years based on newer models or a better factory where they are built?

I know you get what you pay for with chinese quads, but I had a friend with a kazuma that lasted 4 years and he had to do some wrenching along the way, but felt it was worth it. Just don't want my kids to outgrow or become uninterested in a expensive model. I consider the chinese quad a good sample and if they like it/want to stic to it, upgrade them to a quality brand. BUT, I don't want to get something that won't start or is constantly being worked on.

Your thoughts?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

TaoTao is one of those brands here in the US that are somewhat allright. Make sure that you get feedback from your dealer about parts availabillity. I work as regional manager in the North East and one of my dealers took on this brand. He seems to think it's okay.

Remember:: don't put cheap gas in the unit preferably high octane gas without any ethanol. The Chinese units are known for problem with their carburators as the ethanol disolves the glue in the fuel filter which can result in clogging up the carbs and having to replace the neele and seats.

David

Old 12-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

In september 4 of the guys on my street went out and bought 4 chinese quads. They all are 150cc made by Peace motor sports. Every saturday we have gone on a 25 mile trail ride. In total there are 6 guys in the group, 4 chinese atvs and 2 larger hondas. So far i have replaced the chain, it broke after the first month and had to be tightened after every ride. The ignition wire, when turning the key to the off position the engine would not shut off. The rear brakes and the front left tire. We paid $1400 new for each unit. We bought them from a guy in town who is also a atv mechanic so all of the repairs have been made by him for little cost. If you are willing to deal with the small issues, they are great fun at a low cost. If you can't fix them or don't have someone in the area that can, buy something bigger and better. I was at a dealer today looking at the 2011 250 recon ES and will probably buy it soon. If I could get my money back from the chinese atv I would, but I never would have went out and bought a new recon for $3700 with out knowing if I was going to enjoy or not.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Range Rover

I haven't had any major issues with our little Taotao 110D that I mail-ordered last December, but it's been lightly used so far. IMO, it doesn't really matter which "brand" of Chinese import ATV you buy, they're all built with a conglomeration of the same Chinese parts. IMO, Taotao is great because there's a ton of online businesses selling them as well as parts. Hopefully the 135's you have in mind aren't much more than $700 new. If so, you're better off bumping up to a "full sized" 150cc. The larger frame allows you to work on the machine easier. More room around the engine, suspension parts, etc.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

As long as your comfortable around tools all the chinese models are about the same. I just purchased a Coolster 3050b 110cc for my 6 year old boy after doing a ton of research. Will give it to him for x-mas. Like others have said, they're all basically the same with most of them having similar parts.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bought 2 125's for my kids 6 and 8 last spring. They really have had no issues except the battery being crap. I just add gas and they go. They will even pull me (220Lbs) uphill at 40MPH on the road in front of the house. The 40MPH was per the neighbors street bike so YMMV.

Over all I'm very happy with them.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Range Rover

Yeah, you have to keep a trickle charger on that juice-box sized battery if it's real cold out or the machine is left sitting for a week or more. I've got a cheap Harbor Freight Tools special that I got for under $5 on sale IIRC. It works like a charm:

In regards to these little buggers being able to propel an adult, yes they sure can! Our little 110cc will haul my 225lb self around our hilly yard with no problem other than looking ridiculous! The cheapo shocks/springs barely compress with me on it. With the kids it's essentially a solid suspension.

Joel

Old 06-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

[QUOTE=ryeguy1;2982651]I am looking to buy two tao tao 135 atv for my kids. Have been reading a lot of good and a lot of bad about the tao tao atvs on various forums.

Is it possible much of the bad is from older units and much of the good from newer units that were improved/better built?

Also, one online dealer told me that jetmotto no longer makes kid atvs so tao tao took over one of their factories... Dealer said he now only buys the models made from this paticular factory because he believes there is a higher level of quality.

So, is it possible to get a higher quality tao tao 135 or 125 that is reliable for a few years based on newer models or a better factory where they are built?

I have a 2012 model ata150d and it broke down the first few rides and numerous bolts rattled loose and fell out. Only get one of these if you can fix the issues that regularly pop up with these machines. You have to relighted everything and at times replace hardware with new.. Some of the bolts appear stripped but they actually never bit the threads tightly to begin with.
It does however get to a point where you have tightened or replaced every bolt with loctite and the machine will hold together. I have had 2 problem free rides out of 5 total rides so far on our new chinese atv. The fun factor however is high

Old 08-20-2012, 11:18 AM
46u
Weekend Warrior

All I can say my 7 year old grandson since march 21st of this year has run the heck out of his and still running fine. He has even gone on 30 power line trips with his mother and her boyfriend. VERY little minor problems abut for a $580 ATV is had be a VERY good starter ATV. The only draw back is if he does fairly large jumps the axle can get knock out of aliment. His only grip is no revers.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

The first thing to understand on these chinese atvs, is that they are essentially all the same. You also need to keep in mind that the good price comes with the understanding that some parta will fail, and some attention needs to be made to maintainence. When you purchase one of these atvs, also purchase a couple bottles of inexpensive blue locktite... pick it up at harbor freight, along with the little trickle charger listed above. Before your first ride, check and tighten all the bolts. Your first ride should be by an adult and should be a breakin ride. After each ride, make a quick check of the bolts. If any are loose, put a little blue locktite on them and tighten them up. So part will fail or break. Take these as opportunities to make inexpensive upgrades. Parts are easy to find for most of these atvs with a multitude of online retailers and ebay sellers from around the world. I personally like the gy6 scooter motors I have a 150cc1 redcat atv and a 150 kandi kd-150fs offroad buggy. The engines are identical and parta are interchangable. I have not been gentle to either vehicle. I keep and extra coil, CDI, and starter relay as they get bumped around (all three on ebay for $18). I also keep additional cvt drive belts on hand. Both vehicles have been great fun for my family and a great price.

Search this Thread