Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What quad is the best buy out of thease 3 for trail ridding?

Old 11-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What quad is the best buy out of thease 3 for trail ridding?

Hey guys whats up?
My dad wants to buy a quad but he needs help on what quad to get. He narrowed it down to thease 3 quads. He likes the Honda rancher 420es with power steering but mainly because of the power steering.he does not like shifting either.
He likes the suzuki king quad 400as a lot. He likes the auto tranny and the looks.Is the suzuki more durable than the honda vise versa? Is it hard to turn in 4x4? what one has more power and what one is faster but most important what one is more comfortable?
Last but not least he likes the Yamaha grizzly 350 4x4. He likes it because it is light, nimble and it has the shift on the fly 4x4.what is the top speed of this bike? What quad would u take out of the 3? he will be trail ridding with mud, rocks, snow and a few other peices of terrain. thanks!

Old 11-12-2010, 04:10 AM
Range Rover

Are these new bikes? If so, and your dad wants decent power, a nice ride, and wants it on a smaller framed bike, I would consider the Yamaha 450 Grizz with EPS. It has EFI, EPS, IRS, Low Range, and a locking front diff. In other words, he gets everything he wants.

Anyhow, of the three you mentioned, it would be between the Rancher and the King. He'll have to decide between the power steering on the Honda, or the auto on the King. The 350 Grizz with IRS is just lacking in power in my opinion. To be honest, in a quad of this size, steering shouldn't be an issue... power or not.

I have no idea which one is faster, and it shouldn't matter. When you look to a smaller machine, your looking for agility, not speed. Although, they will all be pretty "snappy". They just might not have the torque and grunt to get out of some difficult situations.

Yes, it is noticeably more difficult to turn the machine in 4X4 if it has a front locker. EPS helps, but it's still much more difficult, but EPS makes it doable. On the Honda, it won't be an issue... no locker.

All three are about equal in quality... very, very good quality, and IMHO, the best of all the manufacturers.

Hope your dad gets a machine that he really enjoys.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Pro Rider

Tell him to get a fullsize atv not a mid size womans/kids atv start at 500cc +
Polaris XP, Can Am XT top of the line, then Yamaha,Suzuki,Kawasaki, AC then last Honda.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i highly recommend he gets some seat time and test drives each one of those, as they are all good choices. i believe he will be able to pick out which one he really wants after that. good luck!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Please read about can am!

I own a outlander 800 and it is the best quad I have ever owned by far! They really have an advanced machine. What other company offers a 3 year warranty bumper to bumper? The visco lock 4 wheel drive system is based on Subaru rally racing car technology! 4X4 Quads have basically been the same since the 80s so understand that your paying for the features now a days. Your dad can get through the woods on any 4x4 quad with decent ground clearance but if you have the money or are looking at a can am and other machine for the same money- make no mistake on which to get.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

I see you are in PA as well.

I dont know the answer to this but what is your dad's height and weight.
I am tall 6'5" and heavy 330-50 depending on the season .

This is a big deal since the Yamaha has a smaller feel and sits lower also the foot boards are smaller than the Suzuki. Since I am a big guy I like the Suzuki for that reason. It sits a little taller and I can move my feet around to position myself better on the bike and this can reduce fatigue. Overall the Suzuki is a much more comfortable fit for me.

I have the 500 with power steering and the power steering makes a huge diffrence in my ride and fatigue level at the end of the day. As far as 4wd and turning they all ride and turn poorly at any speed compared to 2wd but the P.Steering makes it a little easier. I dont use the 4wd unless I think I am going to need it for that reason and I find 95% of the time 4wd is not necessary but when I do need it I just check my speed (below 10mph) and push the button and it is there.

As a previous member noted any unit below 500cc's may be a little underpowered in some situations. (Think sharp incline with no approach)

As far as what machine is the most reliable I think they are all about even and just speaking for my unit I have just under 1000 miles in 8 months and besides changing some fluids and regular cleanings I have had no issues.

I would make a list of what you want and what machine is the most comfortable. Buying a complete package the 1st time is better than wishing you had this or that after you laid out the cash.

When I bought my King I thought why do I need more than 500cc's? Now I kick myself for not getting the 750 and spending another 1k... Just last weekend I got 5 feet from the top of a hill (steep no approach) and got stuck.... Glad I have a winch and a good riding group that saw what was happening and saved my bacon by rushing forward and grabbing my front racks. There is no substitute for raw power.

My last item on this rant would be what is an extra couple of grand over a 60 month term? 45 dollars a month.
go big get the longer term and pay it off early you wont be sorry with a bigger machice. But if there is no way to go big my money would be on the 400.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

"Are these new bikes? If so, and your dad wants decent power, a nice ride, and wants it on a smaller framed bike, I would consider the Yamaha 450 Grizz with EPS. It has EFI, EPS, IRS, Low Range, and a locking front diff. In other words, he gets everything he wants."

My vote is for a 450 Grizz as well but there is no EFI on any of the 450's including the 2011's.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Trailblazer

yes all the bikes are new. I told him to look at the 500cc class because there perfect for trails.ill talk to him today and see what he says about the 500cc class.thanks guys.ill have an update soon.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI

My vote is for a 450 Grizz as well but there is no EFI on any of the 450's including the 2011's.
They didn't... what were they thinking. Wouldn't want an ATV anymore without EFI.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by CVT11
yes all the bikes are new. I told him to look at the 500cc class because there perfect for trails.ill talk to him today and see what he says about the 500cc class.thanks guys.ill have an update soon.
Yep, the 500 class is a better all around choice. At the top of my list would be the 500 King EPS, and the 550 Grizz EPS. Great bikes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What quad is the best buy out of thease 3 for trail ridding?