Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What's the best chain lube? Wax or Oil?

Old 08-21-2001, 09:49 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend that is using a 80 or 90 weight oil on his o-ring chain and he swears by it. I have been using chain wax and I find it hard to get all the wax and dirt off after riding to re-wax it. Also it seams a little stiff after riding in the sand and water for a while. I believe he said he's using a differential oil and said if I use the thick oil it would not stiffen up on me as quick. What do you think and what do you like the best.

Old 08-21-2001, 11:47 AM
RIP Dear Friend

I first started out on my chains with straight 30wt. oil. I then went to Bel ray chain oil foam. Next tried Maxima chain wax. They all worked but were a mess except for maybe the chain wax and it was hard to clean up. The chain wax seemed to really build up around the sprockets. I have had the best luck with Pro Honda HP chain lube ( red 13 oz. can). Its pretty easy to clean up and its not messy. It dries pretty fast and doesn't attract dirt as bad. I just followed the directions on the can. It works for me. Chet

Old 08-21-2001, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, Honda HP is the best IMO. I've used it on dirtbikes,streetbikes, and my quads. It doesn't build up and protects for along time. I have never replaced a chain yet. I have 10,000miles on my 900RR and the chain was still perfect and that's after many, many wheelies. Later

Old 08-21-2001, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Sidewinder P-51 chain and sprocket lube. Fully synthetic and specifically designed for off road purposes. www.sidewindersprockets.com. check em out. these guys rock.

Old 08-21-2001, 12:25 PM
Range Rover

I hear you on the build up! And it's hard to get all the old wax off the chain without removing the chain and soaking it. And I don't see how you are going to take the time to clean the quad up then go back out for a 5 min ride in the dirt to warm the chain up to apply the wax, now the quad needs washing again, at least down here in Texas where its dust city during the summer. I think I will try the Honda product and see how that goes. I talked to one of the Yamaha dealers and they said the wax is mostly for street bikes. They suggested tring the Silkolene chain oil, anyone used this product.

Old 08-21-2001, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

I just switched to Honda's brand, too, and it's great. No more gunked up chain, and dirt caked on. Try it - you will like it!

Old 08-21-2001, 10:35 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I went to the Sidewinder website. I would have to say that the "P-51" Off Road Chain & Sprocket Lubricant and Pro honda HP chain lube would be very similar. They both have a base stock made up of fluoropolymers and after that its whatever they throw in there. I am not sure the P-51 is worth almost twice the price of the pro Honda hp chain lube. P-51 Factory Direct Sale Price(4-Pack)$11.99. Not sure of the size of the P-51 can. Honda HP $6.95/ 13oz. can. Hey if p-51 works for you thats what counts. Honda HP has worked for me over that other messy stuff. CHET

Old 08-22-2001, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was asking every dealer in NJ, How can I get the chain wax that the factories use that dries white without leaving a mess and being tacky. No one had an answer. I finally found a can of Bel Ray Chain Lube ( Not the foamy one ) I guess its a new chain lube they have anyway its awsome ! Its so clean and drys pretty quick and leaves the chain all white with NO FLY OFF. I tried everything and this is by far the best IMO.

Old 08-23-2001, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

You can get that "white" colored chain lube at any local Bicycle Shop.

I have a bottle and use it on my mountain bicycle. Never thought of putting it on my ATV's however. I will now!

It comes in a small, clear bottle and had a "dropper" top. In other words, you shake it up, turn the bottle upside down and the wax lube comes out in "drops," no spray! This way there is no overspray.

I am not positive, but I thing it is called "White Lightning" or something like that. It runs about $6.00 a bottle.

The contents (wax and liquid) seperate rather quickly inside the bottle. That is probably why it comes in a clear bottle. So you can see the seperation. Be sure to shake it up real well before use!

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2001, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

I bought 3 cans of P-51 when I bought my chain and sprocket. If anyone wants it I'll make them a deal. It may be a great lube but it flies all over everything. I've gone back to Maxima Chain Wax mainly because I've got several cans, but as others have said it does build up on the sprocket. I think I've give the Honda HP or Bel Ray Chain Lube a try next time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the best chain lube? Wax or Oil?