General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Do used quads = A Money Pit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do used quads = A Money Pit?

Seems like the majority of the posts in the different forums are about "hey I just bought this used "X" quad and....something doesn't work".

Now, I know that's what the forums are all about...I get it.

I'm just curious how many people wind up regretting their decision to buy used as opposed to thinking back and wishing they would have saved the money, and time, they had to dump into their used quad and either bought new or bought "slightly" used?

Me, I learned my lession 20 some years ago. Bought a used Warrior because I "had" to have it. Friends had quads, new ones, I couldn't wait. Drove round trip 4 hours to pick this thing up. Smoked like there was no tomorrow...didn't matter...I "had" to have it. I spent more time working on this thing than riding it.

I don't make a ton of money, never have, and toys are definately not a priority but what I have learned is I'd rather save up, wait, buy new, or look longer for a good used quad than buy someone elses problems.

I know there are exceptions. If you're a champ mechanic, or know one, and can pick up a P.O.S. and fix it up that's one thing....but the majority of folks don't fall into that category.

Just curious, not trying to get anything started other than some interesting discussion/stories.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Bought 4 quads used. 1st was a 2001 Kawasaki Lakota 300. Was in good condition and never had any problems with it. Saved about 2.5K on this quad over new. 2nd was a 2002 Polaris Xplorer 250 AWD. Had to replace the stator. Other than that it was about 4K less than something comparable new. 3rd was a Polaris ATP 500 HO. Bought from guy 1 year after he bought it new. Had all of 20 hours and 10 miles on it. Just used it around his yard. Was in good shape when bought used. Saved over 4K. Had an overheating problem that was simply a radiator cap. Other than that pretty trouble free. 4th used was a Yamoto Tyhpoon (they spelled it that way) It ran good for all of 2-3 hours. After that it was a nightmare. Constantly needing to be wrenched. So, yes, I would buy used as long as I could get a good look at it and check it out and no, I would never buy a Chinese quad again.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

Moose, no doubt there are some good ones to be had. Did you have to look and look to find yours or are good used a dime a dozen around you?

After the Warrior I bought a newer Honda (300X I think) and had no problems with that and then bought a new KDX200 dirtbike. Sold the KDX in just like new condition years later.

Been out of quads/bikes for a while, built an '83 Jeep CJ7 from the ground up and wheeled that for years and years.

Now my boy is 5 and we decided to look for a used CRF50 dirtbike for him. I looked at a half dozen, of course none were right around us so I probably spent a good couple hundred dollars on gas just looking (we have a big truck). Everyone wanted right around $1000 for their bike...and they were all junk, IMO anyway (all the ads and in talking to the people before hand said the bike was in great condition). Front forks were bent/wobbled, wouldn't start, would start but couldn't keep it running, brakes didn't work, tires worn out, front wheel bent on two of them. More than anything it was the TIME it took to drive around and look at all these (hours and hours).

Told the wife I was DONE after getting home late one night from looking. She asked if I had thought of a quad.

Getting to be a long story but I again looked at four (50cc) and all, again, were nothing but an opportunity to spend more time and money on them if I bought one.

With it being for a 5 year old, that is not good.

Finally found a 2005 LT-A50 for $800 only a few miles from our house. Thing is like brand new, not a scratch on it. All stock, runs perfect (fingers crossed).

Took 3 months of searching but I finally found a good one for a good price. Since it was for my son I was probably more hot to trot to get something but still wouldn't buy one that needed work.

Just seems like people just don't take care of their stuff like maybe they used to.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Range Rover

i got lucky with my 03 warrior i bought last spring, most i've had to do was a new clutch, oil changes, and fuel in the tank.....and i bought it on a whim, decided(while drinking lots of beer one night) to go on craigslist and look for a quad, low and behold this machine was waiting for me up in wisconsin about 2-3 hours one way.....

My cuzin went to pick it up for me, got it off the truck, and been in love with it ever since, all i had to do the day i got it was clean the battery terminals, they were corroded a little and it died on me, was still getting used to a clutch(first atv...or any toy for that matter, that i ever owned).....

Old 04-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple different ways to look at it.

If buying a used quad it's always buyer beware. I go through them with a fine toothed comb and expect to see maintenance records AND that they had a service manual.

If I'm looking for a money maker that needs work I rely on my experience and also others I know that wrench on the particular quad I'm looking at to make sure if I'm getting a steal it's not a lemon/money pit.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Range Rover

I don't have a problem buying used, as long as its been taken care of (and I have my own check-off list that I go through). Let someone else take the initial hit on depreciation. That said, sometimes it can be tough finding realistic sellers. Between those who price their quads like they are gold plated, and those who try to polish a turd, it definitely can require patience. Most times you will have to wade through several misguided sellers to find what you're looking for. It's kind of the nature of the beast. It happened to me when I bought my first 400ex, and the same seems to be holding true now that I'm in the market for a bigger quad.

It's a buyers market, though, so the odds are in our favor.

These are just a few of the things I check anytime I look at a used quad:
1. Compression
2. Oil
3. Bearings and Tie Rods
4. Tire Wear
5. Air Filter
6. Chain and Sprockets
7. Radiator/Oil Cooler
8. Electrical
9. Controls
10. Gas tank
11. Frame and Undercarriage
12. Body condition

Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

There are plenty of great used quads in my area. That aside I have never bought anything that didnt need something done to it. I chalk that up to my standards being higher then others. They say "ready to ride, needs nothing" and I just figure on spending $200 to $400 to get it tip top. Im very particular. That being said when I sell stuff it goes quick, people know I take care of my stuff.

So thats my take.....when buying used just figure on spending a few hundred to shape things up. Usually its in the chain/sprocket, tires, small plastic pieces, grips, etc. Some people break small stuff and think "ah, that wont keep it from running Im not fixing it".....I fix it....every time. These are the thing you have to screw with when you buy used.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cuoffroad
Moose, no doubt there are some good ones to be had. Did you have to look and look to find yours or are good used a dime a dozen around you?

Just seems like people just don't take care of their stuff like maybe they used to.
It did take me a month or more on each of the quads (other than the Chinese one) to find good deals in good shape. I probably wouldn't buy one off of a teenager. One of the main things I want to know is, "why are you selling your quad?" If it is a guy who bought it a couple years ago to ride with his buddies and never got out as much as he thought he would; then I will go take a look at it. That type of thing.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:50 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I bought all 4 ATVs used, It was the other way for me , I saved lots of money from buying used. I pretty good at spotting goods one though. Only our 97 SP500 was new and it never was anymore trouble free then the used ones.

Remember everyone on this fourm is running a used ATV.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

I always buy used. I look at it this way: "Every single quad you see on the trail is used." I look at used cars the same way.

Quick Reply: Do used quads = A Money Pit?