1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Roketa ATV-02 250 no spark

Old 08-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roketa ATV-02 250 no spark

Morning everyone,
Little bit of history if you care otherwise skip to the problem.
I just picked up a Roketa 250cc 2 wheel drive 4wheeler from a friend. He put about 40 miles on it (yes very low milage) and said he could never start it after that. It had sat in his garage for about 3 years. I replaced the gas and cleaned out the lines, checked the spark and had a some. Ran the wheeler down the road about 1/2 mile, pulled into my garage and it died. I tried to restart with no luck. Check the spark and guess what...no spark. I am new to ATV's, and have a little engine experience. I have done some reading out at roketaonlineparts.com in thier troubleshooting guide and found out about the three things that "could" be wrong.

Problem: No Spark.
I have removed and replaced the CDI, still no spark.
I have removed and replaced the coil, still no spark.
I have replaced the spark plug, still no spark. I have the kill switch set to "run" still no spark.

When the kill switch is in the off position it won't even turn over. I am capable of changin out the Stator, but would like to get more information before starting.

5 pin CDI

your time and advise is mucho mucho appreciated.

Lefte in the great, soon to be white, flat, North of Dakota.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your CDI is 5 pin? Like this?

Name:  50cc-cdi.jpg
Views: 4057
Size:  19.2 KB

The wiring diagram I have for a roketa 250cc shows a six pin DC powered CDI that looks more like this:

Name:  CDI_Pinout.jpg
Views: 4918
Size:  27.7 KB

Lets figure which CDI first, and once we know that then make some ignition system measurements to see why you have no spark.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Range Rover

I am with Lynn on this. I checked all wires individually from ignition switch forward.
I went ignition switch to CDI to coil to plug.
Somewhere in this line the spark is stopping, use a voltmeter and check each lead while cranking motor.
A loose wire connection or bad wire could be all that is wrong. it will take a little detective work with meter.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

The CDI I have has 6 pins, but only 5 wires. Here is a picture of it from the web site I found.

Lefte

Old 08-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You have connectors that are more square than mine but the wiring is the same as the six pin CDI that I posted earlier. But according to the wiring diagram I see your CDI powered by 12 volts DC, and not from high voltage AC from the stator.

1) Unplug your CDI. Turn on the ignition. Use a meter to measure the DC voltage from the "AC Ignition Power" pin in the wiring harness (which should be labeled "switched DC power" in your case) to both ground pins on the same connector. You should read 12 volts DC.

2) Leave the CDI unplugged. Leave the ignition switch on. Set all kill switches to the 'run' position. Set your meter to ohms on the 200K ohms full scale range. Measure resistance of the kill switch pin to ground. What do you measure? Turn the ignition switch off and repeat the ohms measurement. What do you read now?

3) Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to AC volts on the lowest AC scale you have. 20 volts AC (or even less) would be ideal. Crank the starter motor and measure Timing/Trigger pin voltage at the CDI connector to each of the two ground wires at the same connector. You're looking for a low AC voltage on the timing trigger pin while cranking to one or both ground wires on the same connector. What AC voltage do you measure? Do you get the same voltage from the timing triggger pin to both ground pins on the CDI connector?

Old 09-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Found it!!! It was a loose wire from the stator into the other pig tail connection. The wire was pushed out about 1/4 of an inch. All is working and running great!!

Thanks

Lefte

Old 09-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

just a quick question where is the cdi for a 125cc taotao?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Range Rover

Follow the yellow/black wire backwards from the coil to the CDI harness/connector.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default rocketa 250 ignition wiring? No spark

hi my name is joey im working on a rocketa 250 like a 2000 year model i need the ignition switch wiring and pluse the wiring for the coil and stator plus where are these located? thank you

Old 10-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you go to Roketapartsonline.com they have one there for free.

Chinese ATV Service Manuals for Roketa ATVs - Go Karts - Scooters and Dirt Bikes - RoketaPartsOnline.com

Hope this helps.

Lefte

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roketa ATV-02 250 no spark