Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

89 Honda Fourtrax electrical problem, no power to solenoid

Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Honda Fourtrax electrical problem, no power to solenoid

Hello guys

New to the forum here. I have a problem with a 1989 Honda fourtrax 300 4 wheeler. It won't start without jumping the posts on the solenoid. It's also is blowing the light bulbs for the reverse and the neutral indicators, not sure if it is related. I have checked the start switch, the solenoid and most of the wiring, and I can't find any thing wrong. I see two electrical modules up front and a voltage regulator on the back frame rail, could it be one of those items. I can't afford to just start replacing electrical parts, with out knowing what is the problem. It seams to me that the two wires going to the solenoid are not getting power. The machine was running and starting great until this happened. Any ideas?

Thanks Mike

Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok here is my temporary fix. I am sure I'll upset some people off for disabling safety features. But at this point I need the machine on the job site and can't keeping jumping the posts on the solenoid to start it. I grounded one wire on the solenoid directly to the battery. Now it starts like normal but it will start in any gear now. The lights on the dash are still not working right. The reverse light will now stay lit constantly. So the bulbs for the neutral and reverse indicator are now removed the oil light works properly, always has. If I can get this straightened out I will do it, otherwise it will be used like this until its dead. Any help guys.

Mike

Old 05-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so you know how it works - - The solenoid gets it's permissive ground from the neutral position switch (located right side lower engine case, close to foot peg) - when in neutral gear, this switch is made to ground, turning on the neutral light, and providing ground to the solenoid relay, so when you press the start button, the 12 VDC from the button and the ground from the neutral switch complete the circuit - energizing the starter solenoid.

My '88 300 is wired to start in any gear [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2008, 04:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I will check out that neutral switch. Where is that relay located for the solenoid ? It's not so bad starting in any gear, it's sometimes hard to find neutral on the old girl.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the confusion - the relay is actually the solenoid - The "relay" pulls the contacts to make connection of the 2 larger battery wires. Many OEM parts diagrams list the solenoid as a "relay" instead of calling them a solenoid.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 PM
jme
Weekend Warrior
Default electrical help

Originally Posted by Ujoint
Just so you know how it works - - The solenoid gets it's permissive ground from the neutral position switch (located right side lower engine case, close to foot peg) - when in neutral gear, this switch is made to ground, turning on the neutral light, and providing ground to the solenoid relay, so when you press the start button, the 12 VDC from the button and the ground from the neutral switch complete the circuit - energizing the starter solenoid.

My '88 300 is wired to start in any gear [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I have a 96 fourtrax 300 2x4

In searching for my problem I came across the above post describing how the solenoid ground works. This is my problem. I have a weak ground going to the solenoid, and a weak (dim) neutral light. If I ground the solenoid wire the neutral light now lights brightly but all the time(no matter what gear) and it starts fine but will also start in any gear. Without the ground on the solenoid the neutral light is dimly lit and when trying to start it does nothing. I checked the neutral switch and its fine along with the reverse switch using a test light abd it lights brightly. I checked the ground connection up to the connection plug under the tank and the ground is fine there. So somewhere between the connection under the tank and the solenoid I'm loosing my ground. It looks like the connection from under the tank goes into a bigger harness that goes to the front, guessing the light etc.. and from there is goes back to the solenoid. Anybody have any thoughts as where I should look? I don't have a wiring schematic. Thanks for any help.

Jim

Old 08-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you all check the connections at the harness in front on the batt.? they are an
metal connector bracket with and red connector and white connector. unpluged and check spades....