Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Help with wiring Taotao ATA 110 D

Old 07-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with wiring Taotao ATA 110 D

New guy here.I made a boo boo! I bought my grandson this for Christmas.The 4 wheeler ran great! Starts every time,lots of fun! Now the problem.Kept throwing the drive chain off.After several times of resetting tension,dug a little deeper and found that the frame had brocken in three places,motor mounts,out of alignment.No problem for Pa!I tore it down,removed rear suspension,engine,made some extra bracing,welded it back together beefed up the frame,re-aligned the sprockets it all looks great!In my haste to get the work done I THOUGHT the wiring was plug and play.Wrong!I did not look hard enough and did not catch that not all the wires are color coded,you guessed it!I did not draw it out! I have got a mess on my hands!The wiring diagram that I have is in Chinese.Any suggestions on where I could find a good wiring chart? I cant get the lights to work or the starter to run etc....and I do have a hot battery.I can get the starter to turn the motor over by jumpering the solinoid.Help a grand pa out! I would even take it to a shop if I have to,Dallas Texas area.Thanks in advance for any leads!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

FastE,

You posted your problem way out on the fringe of chinese quad territory , so it hasn't been noticed by the chinese quad regulars. A better place would have been the chinese quad section where there is much more traffic.

No matter. We can continue from here.

First, I'm impressed with your frame mods. My chinese 150cc quad has been solid as far as frame issues.

Are you still having problems? Got a voltmeter? I think we can solve this problem easy even tough I don't have a wiring diagram. The plan will be to:

1) Find out what plugs are disconnected.
2) Get the quad to crank the starter.
3) Get the quad to start.
4) Check the charging system to see if the quad battery is getting charged.
5) Fix any ancillary items such as head lights etc.

Step one:

A) What plugs are you having problems with? Can you post pics? What are the wire colors? How many pins?

B) Have you checked the main fuse?

C) Is your ignition switch (follow the wires) plugged into the main main wiring harness (sometimes you have to remove body plastic to see this)?

Go ahead and reply here, but for future problems (for you and for the general public with chinese quads watching this) post in the chinese section for best results. If you get uncomfortable posting to such a large (and sometimes hostile) audience you can private message me. I prefer public discourse because many others will benefit from the dialog, but it is ultimately up to you. I will respond either way.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Lynn for the reply.I wasn't sure where to post,still feeling my way around.I have checked the main fuse and it is good.checked all of the connections as you have suggested.I have not been back on the problem for about a week.I ordered a new stop light switch,and tail light as both had been brocken.I just received those last night.I will be installing those to eliminate those as a possible cause.I do have a volt ohm meter to start checking.My plans are to get the starter to engage the way it was designed to and then go from there.All of the wiring drawings I have seen show the wires to be color coded,but my main harness does not match the auxilary wire colors even though they are plug in.The problem is all of the plugs are the same.I am just going to have to trace out each individual circut.I have no exsperiance with motorcycle / atv stuff.This is my first.
I will keep you posted as I get into it.I am going to take some time off and go racing this week end.Grand Pa has had no play time this summer and I need a break!I am actually going to work on my own toy! No home improvements,yard work etc....Thank you again for your help! Eddie

Old 08-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Eddie,

There is usually a safety interlock on the starter circuitry that keeps the quad from cranking the starter motor unless the brakes are applied. This works by using the brake light switch output side to feed the starter solenoid activation coil through the start button. So if your brake switch was broken that may explain the no cranking problem.

The headlights are powered through the fuse > ignition switch > headlight switch, in that order.

No worries on the time frame. Take your time...

Lynn