Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XP Fluid or AGL for 850XP

Old 08-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Range Rover
First Things First!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP Fluid or AGL for 850XP

I have searched the forum and called 2 dealers and looked at the maintenance list on the forum, all call for AGL for the 850 transmission but my manual shows Sportsman XP Transmission Fluid. So what do I use, has it changed back or is the XP Fluid new or dealers are not stocking for the 850 or are they the same fluid?
One interesting thing was the price between dealers for AGL, close to home it's $18 a quart but the other side of Denver it's $13 and I have 3 Sportsman that may take AGL.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

I'd think you could use both but myself I'd use the XP fluid PURE POLARIS OIL

PURE POLARIS OIL

Old 08-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

Any good synthetic motor oil will take the place of this expensive crap and it works just as well or better.

I know. I have been using it for many years.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Range Rover
First Things First!

Overdrive
Are you saying you use motor oil in your transmission? I use 0/40 Mobil 1 in the motor but confused about the transmission fluid.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

Yes. I have been servicing Polaris ATVs since the early 90's. Since about '95 I have put nothing but Castrol Syntec 5w-50 in the engines and trans of all my Polaris ATV's and my customers Polaris ATV's.

It works fine. In fact I feel it is better than the Polaris oil for everything.

The ONLY Polaris fluid you need to buy is their special oil for the front diff.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

One of my customers owns a 96 model 425. It is a extremely high mileage bike.

The trans has had nothing but synthetic motor oil in it since about 99 or so. Castrol Syntec 5w 50.

Somehow he managed to break the trans case. I put his trans parts into another case. The gears, bearings, and chain were the same as new.

The parts were so slick I could not hold on to anything. I had to wash the parts before I could work on it.

The same type trans that use the Polaris lube wear MUCH faster especially the chain.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Spdecat
I'd think you could use both but myself I'd use the XP fluid PURE POLARIS OIL

PURE POLARIS OIL
What a handy link.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Overdrive
Yes. I have been servicing Polaris ATVs since the early 90's. Since about '95 I have put nothing but Castrol Syntec 5w-50 in the engines and trans of all my Polaris ATV's and my customers Polaris ATV's.

It works fine. In fact I feel it is better than the Polaris oil for everything.

The ONLY Polaris fluid you need to buy is their special oil for the front diff.

Are you aware that the only REAL Synthetic (Group IV or higher.) oil with a Castrol label on it is the German Castrol (0W30), all others are a dino base stock with a 'synthetic additive package'.

Did a clutch in my (gone now) Sunfire a few years back, and all the local parts place had was Syntec 5W50, said that was what all the trans shops used. First cold winter Morning, -40C, had to sit in the car with my foot on the clutch until that syrup (Castrol) warmed up enough where I could shift it in Neutral, and go back inside while the car warmed up some more.

Dropped it out, and put Syncromesh back in it, all better.

My point, a 'fits all' product may not be the best product every time. Not saying you have to buy Popo stuff, but following the spec is a good idea.

Why did that trans case blow apart? Just wear??

Do you follow the Popo change specs, or go by the quad, and the type of conditions it lives in? (Just looking for ideas on how to service mine, once I get it.)

Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by WilliamBos

Why did that trans case blow apart? Just wear??

There was no wear. That is the whole point. The case was busted by a rock or something.

I see a whole lot more wear on those with lower miles that use the Polaris fluid.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

We never have to worry about -40 temps where we live. If So we may have had to come up with something different.

Also every single cam I had to replace on the 500's were running Polaris oil. Never have I seen one wore out with other good oil.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XP Fluid or AGL for 850XP