Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1999 Polaris Scrambler 500 HO Float Height

Old 07-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1999 Polaris Scrambler 500 HO Float Height

Hi,

Does anyone know the float height adjustment level for a 1999 Polaris Scrambler 500 HO 4X4. I tried setting the float around 13mm (.5 inch) while rebuilding the carb. Now the quad isn't leaking out the overflow anymore but I'm draining the bowl after a few minutes of riding so I know it's still not in the ballpark.

Also, does anyone recommend a manual? Should I get the OEM Polaris manual or something like the Clymer manuals?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Old 07-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider
Thumbs up

Welcome To The Forum,,there are polaris manuals on ebay reasonable,i set mine just a shade up from parallel with floatbowl gasket surface with carb upside down,,,,,,,,,,

Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

half inch just to where the tang hits the needle--remember the needle has that lil inner spring ,otherwise you'll end up a lil low.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

book says so that your floats are parallel with the mounting face that you bolt your float to the carburetor

Old 07-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Smile

I did set the float bowl around .5" but it definitely wasn't "parallel" to the gasket surface of the bowl. The float is def too low. I will set it to "parallel" or maybe just slightly above parallel and I'll probably be good.

That "inner spring" on the needle is def messing me up I think. The new needle and it's "inner spring" sits up a lot higher than the original needle that I replaced.

I will post a follow-up some time this week.

Thanks all,
Kevin

Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pretty much even cross is good. imo

Old 07-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

So, I got my Clymer manual and it says the float height for a 99 Scrambler 500 is .58 inch or 14.7 mm with the tang of the float just touching the needle. What a pain in the butt though!!! I am tiliting the carb so the tang just touches the needle and measured with vernier calipers and a basic ruler. After re-assembling the carb back onto the quad, it will run for about 5 minutes and then the quad dies. I pulled the fuel line off the fuel pump, refilled the carb using a small funnel and gravity and she fires back up again. So, I know the quad is draining too fast and I'm not even close.

MECHANIKE or stendori,
When you say "even cross" or "parallel" are you holding the carb upside down completely or are you tilting the carb and just allowing the tang to touch?

If I tilt the carb and adjust it to .58 inch, I am parallel, but then turning the carb completely upside down, I am well below "parallel". I think that would mean I would be flooding the carb if you guys are putting it parallel while completely upside down. Yet, I know this is not the case because it seems I am running the carb dry.

Man, I am so frustrated. I've rebuilt Harley carbs and auto carbs and never had such a hard time adjusting a float. One more try and I guess I'll be hauling the quad into somebody that has more experience then me I guess.

Note, I also checked the Fuel pump and she is pumping fuel. I had the fuel line off and fired the quad up and had no problems seeing fuel was being delivered by the pump.

4getful2,

When you mention the "inner needle" are you saying I should push down the float and compress the little inner needle to get the right height adjustment? If that is what you are saying I think this would also make me adjust the float even lower because I would have to bend the tang up more to get the float to sit at .58 inch or 14.7mm height.

Thanks in advance,
kwaropay

Last edited by kwaropay; 07-13-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: forgot to mention I checked fuel pump. Reply to 4getful2 as well
Old 07-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

yeah like i said previous,upside down angle of float parallel with float gasket surface,i've done-500,400,250 carbs all are running great,,,you have something cloggin it seems,maybe fuel filter,,,,you usually don't have to worry about running out of fuel unless your pullin alot of r's,,,,,,

Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

After I posted this thread last night, I was reading all the other threads around carb issues and I saw one guy pulling apart the fuel pump and cleaning it. I was thinking I should inspect and clean the fuel pump and replace the fuel filter. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Gonna get to work on it tonight or tomorrow. I've got the carb off again and I'm going to adjust the float height one more time the way you are suggesting MECHANIKE. Thanks again for the reply.

kwaropay

Originally Posted by MECHANIKE
yeah like i said previous,upside down angle of float parallel with float gasket surface,i've done-500,400,250 carbs all are running great,,,you have something cloggin it seems,maybe fuel filter,,,,you usually don't have to worry about running out of fuel unless your pullin alot of r's,,,,,,

Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

She's purring like a loud tiger now. Ran her for 20+ minutes now. Adjusted the float one more time just to make sure I had it right and replaced the fuel filter. Fuel filter was definitely the last issue. The filter stretched like a piece of soft candy trying to twist it out of the fuel line. I had to pry it out with a flathead screwdriver. I guess that what's happens when you let it sit for 5 years with stale gas in it. Thanks for the help.

Now onto replacing the petcock (I broke it pulling the tank but I jerry-rigged with a vaccuum tube fitting and some JB-Weld epoxy), fixing the leaky radiator, adjusting the valve clearance, replacing the oil, and a good lube all around (plus some other maintenance).

I bought a new home in the woods so I've got plans to beat this puppy up again. I really can't complain about my Scrambler. I've beat the crap out of this thing. I was never afraid of a mud pit back in 1999 thru 2001. Then I got married and had children. Now I'm gonna use it to plow the driveway in the winter time!! LOL But I'll also give my kids a ride every now and then!

kwaropay

Last edited by kwaropay; 07-14-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: type-o