Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly-What Year/Model To Look For?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Grizzly-What Year/Model To Look For?

I have been pondering the thought of purchasing a new (09/10) Yamaha Grizzly 550 EFI/EPS 4x4, but before I blow my life saving's I figure I should get some advise...
If you can think of any reason I should avoid this year and model please advise. If you recommend I purchase another year/(or)/model, now would be a good time to let me know!

Thanks - Dave

Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

i cant speak for the 550, but my buddy's 07 700eps has pretty much been flawless. he has put it through hell for the 1000+ miles he has had it, even rolled it once pretty badly. his did have the gas tank boiling issue, but the newer ones shouldnt have that.

the grizzly has the best brake setup and one of the best belt and 4wd systems out there. the only issues i have with it are...
1. the seat is not as comfy as any of any of my polaris'
2. the ape like handle bars
3. it needs wheel spacers and better tires for stability
4. no "wow" factor

these are all personal preferences though, if polaris hadnt built the XP model, i would be on a griz.

from what i have read the 550 is pretty much the same as the 700 so you should be good to go.

good luck.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

IMO The Grizz is the best all around machine made! I have 1100 flawless miles on mine and could not be happier with a utility atv! For the 09 and up model year thicker seat padding was added along with a lighter thumb throttle (tho still kinda stiff) The Grizz has the best transmission of ANY atv out there with the best 4-wheel engine braking made. 05t700 is right for best stability 1in spacer with a good set of tires such as the Maxxis Bighorns will be much appreciated. You can go to Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum for more testimonials on how much these guys like there Grizz machines! One thing is for shure you will rarly find a person that has anything negitive to say about and Grizzlys! Happy trails and enjoy your purchase!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Dave B
I have been pondering the thought of purchasing a new (09/10) Yamaha Grizzly 550 EFI/EPS 4x4, but before I blow my life saving's I figure I should get some advise...
If you can think of any reason I should avoid this year and model please advise. If you recommend I purchase another year/(or)/model, now would be a good time to let me know!

Thanks - Dave
Previous model years supposedly had issues with "boiling" gas and stalling, the issues have been resolved with 09's & up. The Grizzly is a bulletproof machine that should last you a long time, my 09's have been flawless to date. The "ape" like handlebars only look that way because there's no guage pod between them, which is mounted down lower and you get used to it real quickly. The seat is not as soft as my 08 Polaris was, but still quite good. I'm still running stock wheels/tires, and they're more than adequate until you decide to spring for new tires, which will help as with any new ATV running stock tires. Aftermarket wheels will aslo add some width without spacers if needed. As far as power output goes, the Grizz 700 gave my 08 Polaris 800 all it could handle, a lot of it due to its lightweight. The 550 will be right near the top in power output in the middleweight 500 class. Don't get one without EPS, one of the most incredible ATV innovations in known history.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I concur with the others. the Grizzly will not disappoint you. you'll be impressed. there's only one thing, post a couple of pics after you buy it. i've heard nothing bad at all about the grizzly. it's an awesome machine. it'll do what you want and more. have fun!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

On 2008-2009 and the 2010s, all seats have the same part numbers and they all feel the same to me and they are very comfortable. The throttle on my 08 feels the same as the one on my 2009 and I never though it pushed hard. I have two 08s one with 1800 miles and one with 1200 miles and have never had any problems and I just picked up a new 2009. One thing they did change on the 2009 is the shift linkage and it made them shift much easier.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Here is testimonial on the thumb throttle 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI EPS 4x4 Model Preview
and terb is right the 09 shift linkage did change. Much easy'r to use!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dave B

Thanks - Dave
Hi Dave, i am selling my 09 550 eps its on Craigslist Thompson Ct,, its like brand new except for the scratches,, i bought the 09 700 Grizz,,there awesome Atvs! but ones gotta go.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by Troyboy68
Hi Dave, i am selling my 09 550 eps its on Craigslist Thompson Ct,, its like brand new except for the scratches,, i bought the 09 700 Grizz,,there awesome Atvs! but ones gotta go.
Nice pic

Old 06-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
Nice pic
Thnaks,,hey Hemi,you got one just like mine right??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grizzly-What Year/Model To Look For?