Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Obtaining an ATV title???

Old 06-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obtaining an ATV title???

Hello,

I purchased a used atv last summer. I'm thinking I want to get a title for it, in case I want to sell it. Anyway, the buyer did not have a title, just a bill of sale. He gave me two of them actually. One from I guess the previous owner, than one from him to me. He was located in CT, and I'm in NJ. I'm just wondering if anyone in NJ knows what I need to do? DMV told me really quickly when I got my driver's license renewed that I need a title from the previous owner. I wasn't in the mood to deal with them, so I just said OK and left. I'm wondering now if I go back, if theres another option? I would think this is a kinda common thing, especially with recreation vehicles, and how many there are out there.

I'm also interested in a legitimate website that I can obtain the records for it, similar to Carfax or Autocheck, but for ATVs. Just so I know the records.

In the event, I cant get a title, I'm wondering if local Yamaha dealerships will give me problems for service? Will it be a big issue or no? The local one I go to seems real chill and small, and I do have a friend who knows the owner of a kawai/yama dealership.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

all atvs have titles
someone has the title
hope he doesn't want it back
may be hot!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:33 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Happens here in Ontario Canada, people lose or misplace the ownerships slip, you sure dont park or never sell a ATV forever because you lost a piece of paper.
I bought a old Ski-Doo elan ,the DMT just checked the serial numbers to make sure it was not stolen,from that they know the last owner ,who you better have a sale reciept from then they process a new owners slip.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I know you can go through a process here in Texas and get a Bonded Title.

Problem is, it's about 300 bucks or more so depending on the atv, it might not be worth it.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
Happens here in Ontario Canada, people lose or misplace the ownerships slip, you sure dont park or never sell a ATV forever because you lost a piece of paper.
I bought a old Ski-Doo elan ,the DMT just checked the serial numbers to make sure it was not stolen,from that they know the last owner ,who you better have a sale reciept from then they process a new owners slip.

If you lose the title how could you keep from losing a reciept?
Easiest thing to do is have the owner get a duplicate title then sign it over to the new owner. You should get a good title before you even try to sell.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by JaCkaL829
Hello,

I purchased a used atv last summer. I'm thinking I want to get a title for it, in case I want to sell it. Anyway, the buyer did not have a title, just a bill of sale. He gave me two of them actually. One from I guess the previous owner, than one from him to me. He was located in CT, and I'm in NJ. I'm just wondering if anyone in NJ knows what I need to do? DMV told me really quickly when I got my driver's license renewed that I need a title from the previous owner. I wasn't in the mood to deal with them, so I just said OK and left. I'm wondering now if I go back, if theres another option? I would think this is a kinda common thing, especially with recreation vehicles, and how many there are out there.

I'm also interested in a legitimate website that I can obtain the records for it, similar to Carfax or Autocheck, but for ATVs. Just so I know the records.

In the event, I cant get a title, I'm wondering if local Yamaha dealerships will give me problems for service? Will it be a big issue or no? The local one I go to seems real chill and small, and I do have a friend who knows the owner of a kawai/yama dealership.

Hey Jackal, I'm in a similar situation in NJ. Bought ATV on craigslist... Previous owner bought it on a Ebay. I have original Title with original owner.... But no paperwork was done between. I see your post is from 2008.... How did it turn out for you with NJ DMV?