1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110 will not start.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 110 will not start.

I am a new user of the forum. I purchased a new 110 from a business that sells them and it only had a 90 day waranty on it. I purchased it in February this year. I was able to take it out one time and the grandson enjoyed riding it. When i got it home it started a couple more times after that and now it will not start unless we jump the relay that goes to the battery with the key on. It will fire right up and run for as long as you want it to but when you push the button to stop it or try and start it by the starter switch there is nothing just like it is turned off. this unit also has a remote kill switch. The guy at the place we purchased it said there was a short or loose connection somewhere. Any help would be great.

Last edited by mathbg; 06-02-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer
Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mathbg
...when i got it home it started a couple more times after that and now it will not start unless we jump the relay that goes to the battery with the key on. It will fire right up....
Your a new chinese quad owner, but figured out how to jump the solenoid already by yourself. Kudo's to you for doing better than most new owners.

Originally Posted by mathbg
...It will fire right up and run for as long as you want it to but when you push the button to stop it or try and start it by the starter switch there is nothing just like it is turned off....
Starting the quad and stopping the quad are two separate issues. Let's take stopping the quad first:

What are you pushing to try and stop the quad engine? The kill switch on the left handlebar is the only "push" button that will do this. Is that what you meant? Or did you (incorrectly) think that pushing the start button again will kill the engine. The other 110cc kill engine methods are turning off the ignition switch, shutting it down via remote, and pulling off the tether cord safety kill plug (if you have one of these installed). By the way, kill switches do *not* keep you from cranking the starter motor. They prevent spark, and therefor keep the engine from starting.

For starting up the engine, the starter motor circuitry is wired through a safety interlock that requires that the brake is pushed before the starter button will work. The way this works is that the solenoid activating coil is powered through the brake switch first, and then the start button. Turn on the ignition, and apply the brakes. Is the brake light on? If it isn't you quad won't engage the starter. Some 110cc quads don't have brake lights. If yours doesn't we'll have to use a meter instead.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

with the break on the handle bar pulled nothing happens when we try and start the quad with the starter switch. if we jump the quad we do not have to pull the break it will start with out because we by passed the circuit this way but the key has to be on. when the key is on and we pull the break both the hand or foot break will turn the light on. When we called the place we purchased the quad from all they would tell us is there is either a short or a loose connection somewhere and all we have to do is find the connection. I am not sure if the on off switch turns the quad off because we use the key to kill it. I took the starter switch apart to see if there was any loose connections there and everything looks good.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

This quad has break light and they work when the break is activated. the quad will shut down when the kill switch is turned to stop or off. i did find a loose wire that looks like it goes to the starter switch in one plug that is not connected very well and when i try to jump this wire to where is should go on the other end of the connector still nothing from the switch. seems like everything is pointing to the switch but there is not a lot to the switch. I have not taken the switch out to clean it yet to see if this will help.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Electrical Expert

For the start solenoid to work, 12 volts has to be applied across the two small input wires.

Usually on 110cc quads one side of the solenoid is wired to ground. The other side is connected to 12 volts through these devices in this order:

1) Start button
2) Brake switch
3) Ignition switch
4) Fuse
5) Battery

Since your brake light works we know that #5 through #2 is working. That leaves the start button and the wiring from the brake switch to the start button, and the starter button to ground wiring.

Unplug your solenoid input wires and measure the resistance of each pin in the wiring harness to ground. One of them should read zero ohms. The other should read open.

Measure resistance between the two solenoid input wires. It should read 4 or 5 ohms.

If you can get at it, measure the resistance of the start button switch to see if it shorts when the button is pushed.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

i fixed all the loose wires on the quad and it still will not start by the switch. i took the wires off from the selinoid that goes to the starter and break connection and tested them and they read 0 or open. all the other connections when i got them fixed show a little ohms about 1 to 2 ohms. looks like the silenoide is what is causing the problem. all i need now is to know where to fine one.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Electrical Expert

I'm not quite understanding your last post. Probably that means you didn't understand mine, so we're even . Before you go out and buy a new solenoid try this test:

Unplug the connector with the two small wires going into the solenoid. This is the solenoid actuating coil. If you apply 12 volts across those two little wires going into the solenoid you should hear a "click" and the starter should turn.

If you have some small alligator style jumper clips then connect up the two small solenoid wires across the battery and see if the solenoid works (Caution - set the brake, put it in neutral, etc - if it starts we want the quad to stay put). If you don't have jumper clips then use your meter leads. Unplug them from your meter and use them to do the temporary connections. You might need two people (4 hands) for that, and be really careful not to short the battery out with your leads while doing this. It doesn't matter which way around you hook up the two small solenoid wires to the battery.

If the solenoid works then its back to bad wiring or the start button. If the solenoid doesn't work then just about any old quad solenoid will work as long as it has two wires for the actuating coil, and it will fit mechanically. Ebay has quad solenoids, and would just about any online quad parts vendor. Save your old solenoid connector pigtails in case you need to cut off another solenoid actuating connector and solder on your old one so it will mate up to the wiring harness.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Smile

I want to thank you for all your advice. I was able to test the solonoid and it did nothing jumping from the battery to the connector or wires that came from the solonoid. there was no click or starter spin. i tried it with the key on and off and still nothing. I am going to call around to see if i can find one locally and if not i will order it from the web. any place you like best off the web. I did see several from ebay but not sure what the shipping would cost from them. Have a great day and thank you again for all your help.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Electrical Expert

Your welcome for the help. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default just an update.

I got the new solonoid installed and it started right up. Everything seems to be working great now. Thanks again for all your help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 110 will not start.