ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

83 honda atc200 light bulbs burn out

Old 12-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 83 honda atc200 light bulbs burn out

I have an 83 honda 200m it took awhile to get it running rite. Ive been riding it for about a month now and all of a sudden the lights went out. I replaced them a couple times and as soon as i turn them on they light up for like 2 seconds and blow out. What could cause this? any suggestions on how to fix it?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you have a short somewhere in the wire, possibly a section of wire that is exposed.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

It seems like a voltage spike, if all the bulbs are lost each time.
Have you put a meter on the system?

Old 12-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

bad voltage regulator....

Old 12-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

From what i see all the wires look ok but havent looked hard. Ill take a better look. Yes all bulbs blow at same time as soon as i turn them on. I dont have a meter but i can borrow 1 is there a certain reading i should get from certain areas? I pulled up a wiring diagram and dont see a voltage regulator where is this located and is there a way to test it? Thanks for the help

Old 12-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Trailblazer

This is a pull start trike. No electric start or battery

Old 12-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by sikkendistrbed1
This is a pull start trike. No electric start or battery
That is understood, and while I'm no ATC expert, my Blaster experience suggests this:
With trike running/light switch on/brakes depressed you can meter anywhere in the electrical system (in bulb sockets/harness junctions- an easy place is where the tail light unplugs). If you meter spikes above 14.7vdc then that's enough to blow the bulbs. The voltage regulator/rectifier converts to dc and controls the highs and lows from the ac stator. It keeps voltages btw 13vdc-14.5vdc to keep a normal 12vdc Atv system happy.

I also couldn't find the voltage regulator in the online OMF '83 atc wiring diagrams. I wonder if Honda just doesn't supply this part any longer?

I did find this guy who makes aftermarket electronics:

Rick's Motorsport Electrics - Contact Us

There are a lot of dead links on his site, but if you use his part finder link you'll find your trike parts. Give him a call as I'm sure he'd be a good resource of knowledge to help id your problem.

Here's another site for electronic info and parts:

Diagnosis Center - ElectroSport Industries

and this to keep our heads spinnin' :

http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ng-diagram.pdf

Old 12-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

ida agree with the voltage regulator. but i dont think there is one as it dont have a battery. so it could vary well be the stator behind the recoil cage/houseing.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

Could very well be the stator, but I'd rule out voltage regulator first. It's usually cheaper and easier to get to. Blasters have no battery, yet they do have voltage regulators.
But your point is well taken as this may be strictly an AC only system since there's no need for DC charging. If that is the case, he could still meter AC volts to determine spikes (the threshold values would be the same - 13v-14.5v). An AC system would eliminate the need for a rectifier, but I still think an AC voltage reg would have to be in line somewhere.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

i was right. i owned a 185s 3 wheeler and dont rember ever seeing one. no voltage regulator. check this out. http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/W...Sx80Thru84.jpg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 83 honda atc200 light bulbs burn out