Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Just some LT50 info 'cause I was looking and didn't find it

Old 04-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just some LT50 info 'cause I was looking and didn't find it

Just bought a 2005 Suzuki Quadsport LT50 from the original owner for our boy. He bought it new in 2007 and this thing is still like brand new.

Prior owner didn't have the manuals. I have no idea how people "don't have the manuals" for this stuff. I ordered the service manual yesterday.

Anyway, for all of my vehicles I'm, for whatever reason, a nut about everything having to be just right.

I tried the search function on this site for a couple questions I had and found nuttin. Soooo, for anyone in the same boat I was in about a 2005 Suzuki LT50 quad here is some info.

It's a 2 stroke quad but you don't pour mix gas in the gas tank (new to me). Pure gas in the gas tank and then there is an oil tank under the seat. It mixes itself. Ahhh, what kind of oil do you need for the oil tank...any 2 stroke direction injection oil will do...BUT, make sure it's direct injection oil.

Case oil. I don't think I found more than one thread that mentioned case oil. With all the plastic on these little quads I would bet a lot of folks don't even know it needs attention. Anyway, 10w40 motor oil is all you need, 500 ml.

Chain adjustment, two "cam bolts" on the back end, they are silver. Everything else is mostly black back there. Tighten the nuts evenly but don't make the chain to tight or you'll burn up bearings.

Brake adjustment. One simple nut on the rear brake that you turn by hand. Front brakes, a nut on each side that again you turn by hand, very simple but adjust them evenly.

Hope that helps someone at some point.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later.

Happy Easter.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:56 AM
Trailblazer

alot of people do the injection pump delete and premix... it's not hard, you pull the engine clutch cover, pull the wingnut looking thing off the front shaft it's the 1st thing that can come off and pulls right off iirc. then you block of the pump mount, pump which you had to remove to get the cover off. then pull the tank and you're pretty much done. block off the hose that fed to the carb oil injection in

for the LT 80s - premix, boyesen reeds, aftermarket pipe or modded stock pipe, removal of spacer restrictor in carb, 428 drive chain and gears from an older LT50 (granted they're the same as the 80 and have a 520 chain stock) drop the front rollers in the variator from 6 to 4 or three. run a UNI maybe and rejet to a 90 main jet... any further speed desires and you'll want to contact Jack Moore and get Moore power with a full port job ect again, not sure if all of this applies to the 50, but I imagine a good deal of it does

Old 04-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

Why remove the oil injection? Not saying I don't want to do it or wouldn't do it but I'd like to know the pros of such a mod.

I did a search on oil injection and the only reason I could find was "your engine will be a lot happier", and that would be great, but I still don't understand the why??

Thanks much.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hawaiianbasshead
alot of people do the injection pump delete and premix...
Same here, I just don't trust the pump. If I premix then I know the ratio that it's burning. Not dependent on the pump and any problems it may have.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

the pump will keep the motor well oiled. often too well. The pumps are very reliable. Those who eliminate it do so to reduce the amount of sticky injection oil loading up their motor. Premix oil can be adjusted to the bare minimum and the engine will run cleaner and more efficient. Premix oil ratio will directly affect Air/Fuel mixture and carbs should be adjusted for the premix. The benefit of having an oil injection pump is that you can refuel from the same can as dad's four stroke.

I am curious to hear from anyone who has had an actual oil pump failure and what caused it.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer
Thumbs up

I didn't have an oil pump failure, but came real close. The bolt at the banjo fitting had come loose on the oil injection on my son' s LTA50. Luckily we were riding on a dry day in the dirt, and I spotted the oil spots on the ground. That was enough for me to remove the injection system, and start pre-mixing. I used the Maxima Castor oil ever since. Has a nice smell to it...

Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the older 2-stroke LT50's had one or two restrictors from the factory. I recall there being a washer between the head and pipe. Can't recall where the other ones were.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawaiianbasshead
alot of people do the injection pump delete and premix... it's not hard, you pull the engine clutch cover, pull the wingnut looking thing off the front shaft it's the 1st thing that can come off and pulls right off iirc. then you block of the pump mount, pump which you had to remove to get the cover off. then pull the tank and you're pretty much done. block off the hose that fed to the carb oil injection in

for the LT 80s - premix, boyesen reeds, aftermarket pipe or modded stock pipe, removal of spacer restrictor in carb, 428 drive chain and gears from an older LT50 (granted they're the same as the 80 and have a 520 chain stock) drop the front rollers in the variator from 6 to 4 or three. run a UNI maybe and rejet to a 90 main jet... any further speed desires and you'll want to contact Jack Moore and get Moore power with a full port job ect again, not sure if all of this applies to the 50, but I imagine a good deal of it does
What is this spacer restrictor in the carb your referring to? New to me...

Old 04-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by huntingfromaquad
I didn't have an oil pump failure, but came real close. The bolt at the banjo fitting had come loose on the oil injection on my son' s LTA50. Luckily we were riding on a dry day in the dirt, and I spotted the oil spots on the ground. That was enough for me to remove the injection system, and start pre-mixing. I used the Maxima Castor oil ever since. Has a nice smell to it...
Same here. My daughters actually quit runnin after it got hot. That was the end of the oil injection for me! I believe it also injects by wheel speed so if it is not movin even if throttle is pinned no oil. I'll pass!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Bushwacker379
I believe it also injects by wheel speed so if it is not movin even if throttle is pinned no oil. I'll pass!
That would be incorrect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just some LT50 info 'cause I was looking and didn't find it