Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

91 suzuki 250 quadrunner neurtral light

Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 suzuki 250 quadrunner neurtral light

When I put my quad in neutral the neutral light does not always come on. If the light does not come on I cannot use the electric start button on the handle bars to start the quad because it thinks it is in gear. Has anyone had a problem like this that could give me an idea about where to look to fix the problem?

Old 03-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had that problem so long ago i forgot all the details.. anyway, I hooked the feed '(return?}wire directly to ground under my seat, and the light is on all the time now.. this gives you the advantage of being able to start in gear, so you dont have to rock 'the machine into neutral to start it.. a trick task if it stalls on a grade.. the downside is staring at the stupid light, and the safety factor of it starting in gear and being ready to drive away, which I havent found to be a problem, really..

Old 03-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default neutral light

i am having the same problem with my 85 lt250 suzuki... ususally after i put it in reverse... do i use the return off the light itself? and isnt there a sensor somewhere that can be changed or adjusted?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by snactolate
i am having the same problem with my 85 lt250 suzuki... ususally after i put it in reverse... do i use the return off the light itself? and isnt there a sensor somewhere that can be changed or adjusted?
Yes, there is a neutral switch that can be replaced. But, the output from the neutral switch goes through the reverse switch. If your problem is after coming out of reverse then maybe your reverse switch is bad.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

Kenm, any ideas about where these switches are???

Old 03-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default dang neutral switch!

thats quite possible.... i am just curious if the grounding method will work if it is my reverse switch.... and any idea what color the "return" wire is? i am going to give it a shot tonite cant be that hard to figure out considering there arent that many wires... ill just ground each one til the light comes on... probably get a minor spark if i hit a hot wire, and should get a light if i get the right one... anyone know if im taking a chance on blowing something by using this method of troubleshooting?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by mustangstephen
Kenm, any ideas about where these switches are???

The neutral switch is on the left side of the engine, near where the shift cables are located. The reverse switch is behind the starter motor.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

there is a plug in connector under the seat, with 2 blue wires...(Its dark out and I cant tell if they are Identical or not) I cut one off after the connection, and grounded it to a body bolt under the seat... looking down at the connector from the top with the ridge up, it is the right hand side wire.. Have to look it over in daylight for a truer color, but that should do it for now.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Range Rover

I found the 250 has issues of NOT going all the way out of gear or getting stuck in a gear until you move the bike. Read the owners manual folks and follow it...if the bike will not come out of gear rock it forward in that gear about five feet or so and the internal clutch will release and allow the bike to downshift.. If you cannot get the bike neutral lite to go on then the bike is not fully out of gear and that is an accident waiting to happen. I advise DO NOT start cutting wires and disconnecting anything one of these days your going to think the bike is running in neutral with the choke setting the bike at a high idle just before it pops the rest of the way into gear and runs some one over.

I don't think anyone wants to be living proof of the phrase "you just cannot cure stupid"

Last edited by Sand Hog; 03-24-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: miss-spelled words
Old 03-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Sand Hog
I found the 250 has issues of NOT going all the way out of gear or getting stuck in a gear until you move the bike. Read the owners manual folks and follow it...if the bike will not come out of gear rock it forward in that gear about five feet or so and the internal clutch will release and allow the bike to downshift.. If you cannot get the bike neutral lite to go on then the bike is not fully out of gear and that is an accident waiting to happen. I advise DO NOT start cutting wires and disconnecting anything one of these days your going to think the bike is running in neutral with the choke setting the bike at a high idle just before it pops the rest of the way into gear and runs some one over.

I don't think anyone wants to be living proof of the phrase "you just cannot cure stupid"
Then why can I rev my engine and not move anywhere after I shift out of first gear or reverse??? I get the solid clunk of everything disengaging. Tried rolling the bike and everything, even push starting... I'd bet dam good money I was in neutral. I looked my clymer repair manual over for 2 weeks before I started this thread, never saw anything that helped. Sorry, but I bet my problem has more to do with a broken switch then it not completly disengaging.

Besides rocking the bike to get it into neutral is natural for me and I'm sure many others. I dont think anyone can ride the bike for an afternoon and not have to do it a couple times... and 5 feet??? really? I've never had to even rock the bike 5 inches. Come on, I may not be smart but I aint stupid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 91 suzuki 250 quadrunner neurtral light