ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

84 250r tips /advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 250r tips /advice

i finally did it, been wanting one since i was a kid, 43now still a kid though, just bought my first atc, 500bucks its sharp, it starts easy,idles,screams, tested it in the dark,bad idea, but i wanted it, it needs a headlight&mount,carb bowl gasket, rear brakes leak from plunger thing that mounts on frame by bottom of right fender, it s at the end of brake line from rear mast cyl under fender, where would i look for these parts??also now that its home under lights it seems to have alot oil build up on front of motor bottom of jug fins below exhaust what should i look for, im thinkin even if i gotta rebuild it soon i got a good deal thanks for any advice

Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
2 strokes or 4

e-bay for parts. For the carb. bowl gasket just make one with some gasket material, also you can switch out the old bowl screws with some allen head bolts from home depot if the heads are stripped which is usually the case with them. About the oil build up, is it coming out of the jug where the expansion chamber and jug meet if so then that's a common problem usually caused by either the header flange is worn or the springs are worn, or from just putting around and not burning the oil. A bunch of people including myself have put black hi temp silicone on the flange and that stops it. If it's coming out the base gasket though it needs a base gasket.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for the quick reply sdm and tips bought some gasket material today, found the brake piston rebuild kit 23.oo one of the few parts honda still sells, been checkin ebay does anybody know if any other year 250r or other honda atc model headlight assembly will work on my 84?, i have nothing but the wires, looks as if it mounts to the trees top and bottom, im tryin to make this look as close to original, but i need a light up there, bout to throw a foglight on temporarily to get buy, but before i call salvage yards etc and buy one that will b a real bitch to convert, i would like to know what will ,thanks

Old 03-09-2010, 05:01 PM
2 strokes or 4

Don't know about the air cooled R's headlight, what about the oil buildup? Where's it coming from?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

its coming from the exhaust flange, i can see the exhaust leak at the flange when i rev, black rtv silicone huh?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

also found that im leaking brake fluid from front master, from the lid it has cracks where it was overtightened, do u know if these can still be got?,also it runs doggy in first and second then cant hardly keep front down in 3rd, theres no lid on airbox, has a uni filter, gonna pull and clean that carb when i make the gasket

Old 03-09-2010, 06:28 PM
2 strokes or 4

Well the exhaust leaking is common, and yes black hi-temp silicone sealant. Do you have a fresh plug in it? What ratio are you mixing the gas and oil? A good carb. cleaning will probably help too. There should be a rubber cap inside the resovoir. Try putting big flat fender style washers on the resovoir bolts to help distribute the pressure may work if not then back to e-bay. Does it have a factory or an aftermarket expansion chamber?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

it looks to b factory exhaust, i havnt put gas in it yet previous kid that had it ran amsoil at 20/1 the mixture decal is still on tank, i found a new lid for brake resevoir online 17.00 6.00 for the diaphram, and i saw the headlight shroud like yours on ebay new by maier 43. looks like it attaches to fork tubes with hoseclamp type fasteners, it says 85 only, but i think i could modify something to work, just talked to my buddy, he has unknown year 250r air cooled with sam exhaust leak/ buildup on front, i havnt seen his yet but i wanna fix mine and show him how to do his, whats involved? pull spring bolt to expansion chamber under tank, then wiggle it loose clean it off real good brake cleaner/ blow dry silicone/ put back, please tell me if i got it wrong, it also leaks where muffler slips on, if i tighten up these exhaust leaks do u think it will help with that 1st &2nd gear boggin?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

im already thinkin bout vforce reed cage/reeds, i ran boysen in 2 of my huskys, and my sons lt-80 it made quite a noticable difference, im also lookin for gold aftermarket bars and local guy i order from cant find any, pro taper/ tag/ the other big one, but i know ive seen tricked out dirt bikes w/ gold bars

Old 03-10-2010, 05:50 PM
2 strokes or 4

You NEED fresh gas if you don't know how old it is. I don't run mixed gas that is over 2 weeks old. 20-1 is very rich for todays oils, I run 32-1 with good results that's water cooled though. About the exhaust disconnect the silencer from the expansion pipe, unhook the springs take it completely off clean both where the flange and pipe connect put black hi temp silicone in the inside of the pipe and reconnect. The oil coming out of where the pipe and silencer meet is cause it's running rich and the packing in the silencer is full of oil, there should be 2 bolts that you can take off and slide the insides out of the silencer ( I don't know positively if factory silencers can be taken apart and repacked ). Unwrap the packing and repack with new, ( I just use non backed fiberglass insulation). it sounds like you really need to do some maintenance. Fresh gas, new plug, cleaned carb., new packing in silencer, and I would try mixing 32-1. I would do those few things before something happens that you may regret. Parts are getting harder and harder to find especially for air R's. If the carb. is clogged then it will lean it out, and it may melt down. Do all your maintenence first then go from there.

Quick Reply: 84 250r tips /advice