CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS50 loses speed to idle - help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS50 loses speed to idle - help!!

I have a DS50 that starts and idles with no issue. After about 45 seconds of riding the ATV will no longer respond to the throttle and will either shut off or slow to a stop and remain at idle. The ATV will start right away again but will not throttle up. If I leave it idiling it can be ridden again for another 45 seconds. I have pulled the spark arrestor and the air filter as well as replacing the spark plug, I still have the issue any suggestions short of taking it to the shop for repair? Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

Try loosing your gas cap when it does this. You may have a vent line pinched.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately it didn't work. I put the quad on a lift to test since I'm tired of pushing the darn thing back everytime it leaves me stranded and the same thing happens. It runs fine but as soon as you let off the throttle to slow down for a turn or just to come to a stop once I press the throttle again it does nothing but start to choke out or the wheels start to spin then stop as soon as they stop and again it starts to choke out. It's almost like it isn't getting fuel so I'm wondering if it is a carb adjustment/cleaning or rebuild that may be needed.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

Turn your fuel off and pull the line off and turn it back on and see how much fuel flow you have.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

The fuel seems to flow through freely. I noticed that as I have the throttle open and it begins to lose power if I feather the throttle it begins to run again. I can do this several times before it goes back to idle. I then have to wait a few minutes to be able to accelerate again.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Im thinking the bom has you checking the right things but try pulling your vent hose out of the handle bars and blowing into your tank when this occures and see if that helps it definetily sounds as though you have a fuel issue but if you pressurize the tank it will move the fuel.NOT TOO MUCH PRESURE NO MORE THEN SAY 15-20 PSI. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Good luck !!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Check the carb bowl for trash and I would clean the gas tank out. I had the same problem once and a piece of the gasket from the gas cap had torn and fell into the tank. Ever once in a while it would settle down and cut off the flow of gas. Its probably not that since it seems to do it at the same time each time but it does sound like what was happening to mine. Worth a shot. When you clean the carb make sure to check the jets for trash. Good luck

Old 02-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Its been a bit since my last post. I took the ATV to the dealer for repair as I got tired of fighting this thing. The dealer pulled the carb and couldn't get it adjusted correctly. A new one was ordered and installed. The total cost of this was $405.
A week or so later it was doing the same thing so I took it back. They claimed they misdiagnosed the problem originally so they replaced the voltage regulator indicating the increase in voltage to the battery was causing the problem. Well it ran well again when I picked it up and also when I got it home. The cost for this repair was $55
Two days later just about the same thing is happening. This time it's not as bad. I can at least feather the throttle to keep me going. It happens most when either slowing down going into a turn or taking off from a dead stop. Between the last two trips to the dealer for repair and the new battery I had to buy for $75. I now have $535 invested and it still has a problem.
I'm baffled now and would really appreciate any additional assistance and thanks for the help thus far. Since it's a 2 stroke could it have anything to do with the oil or oil injection system?

Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

If you have a DS it's a four stroke , no oil injection. So what about the coils? does anyone know if they act up like this when they go out. I allways thought that they either worked or didn't.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Haven't thought about the coil. As you said I've always though they work or don't just as you. The 2004 DS50 is a two stroke. The DS90 is either 2 or 4. Thanks again for the response. I'm read to let this damn thing roll out the back of my truck on the interstate in hopes a truck runs it over.

Quick Reply: DS50 loses speed to idle - help!!