Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Starter Solenoid Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Solenoid Wiring

Hi guys,
I just bought a new starter solenoid (pn 4011335) for my '99 Polaris Magnum 500. It has two posts for wire connections, a top and a bottom. I just need to know which one is red, and which is black. They're not marked and the part is a little different from my old solenoid. Does it even matter? Thanks! -Jerry

Old 02-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. does your bike have 2 big cables (one on each side) from the battery and the other from the starter abd have 2 wires from the switch going to the solenoid? is there 2 post(small) or just one?

Old 02-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks stendori,
I just went and took a look at it. Thick red wire coming from the starter to the solenoid (but not sure to which post). Thick red wire going from the other solenoid post to the red battery terminal. Thick black wire going from the battery neg terminal back to the starter.
I actually just tried it both ways (red from starter to top post, red to battery from the bottom post and then the opposite) but it didn't start the ATV. So I think I have further issues, but I will need to be confident I have it connected properly. It WILL pull start... Any ideas?

Old 02-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

you should have the + side from the batt. to the right side of the solenoid(big stud) and the other side(again big stud)going to the starter. sounds like the negitive ground is going back to the starter to ground it out. is their 2 studs on the starter or just 1 and the neg. cable going to like a mounting bolt? how many small(not the bigger cables)wires are going to the solenoid? another short cut is if the key is on(and wires and cables are hooked are correctly)if you jump the 2 big cables on each side on the solenoid the starter should engage.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

RESOLVED!

I read what you wrote and started undoing any wires but the essentials, jumped the contacts and it started! So then I went back and connected the other smaller wires and it still starts, so I'm not sure what happened but it is fixed! Thanks! -Jerry

BTW what worked was red from top of starter to bottom post of solenoid, then red from top of solenoid to pos battery.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally Posted by jwcrane
RESOLVED!

I read what you wrote and started undoing any wires but the essentials, jumped the contacts and it started! So then I went back and connected the other smaller wires and it still starts, so I'm not sure what happened but it is fixed! Thanks! -Jerry

BTW what worked was red from top of starter to bottom post of solenoid, then red from top of solenoid to pos battery.
glad you got it straighten out. your welcome.