Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Transmission Popping out of Gear

Old 02-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Popping out of Gear

Hello,

2003 Sportsman 700

I just replaced one of the output bearings in the transmission. The bearing was destroyed, and the transmission was stuck in high gear. I had to take the guts of the transmission out while it was still attached to the front and rear driveshafts, doing this caused the gears to fall and I was not able to see where the positioning of the parts. When I put everything back together and tested it all of the gears work except for high, when I push the shifter forward it will engage in high but as soon as I give it gas it pops out.

Is there mor than one way to install the shift forks? Could installing them wrong cause this issue? Is there any other ideas that anyone has could cause this?

Thanks
Dan

Old 02-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If the wave springs are not seated properly between the shift fork(s) its possible fork not sliding dog gear properly into hi gear. This is one of the things that can happen. Shift forks are identical,BUT if you install in the wrong groove of the shift drum(if possible?) could be problems,BUT doesnt sound like thats your problem. If you dont have a Polaris shop manual,I would seriously get one if you are going to continue to do it yourself. OPT

Old 02-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the respose, I do have a shop manual but is not very clear if there is a right or worng way to put the shift forks in. It says to note the position of the forks which I was unable to due to the way that I had to remove the transmission. Im pretty sure that the wave springs are ok because if they arent set correctly the shift forks are hard to put on. I think im gonna take it all apart again to see if i can find anything wrong.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is that a polaris of an aftermarket manual?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bauer92184
Thanks for the respose, I do have a shop manual but is not very clear if there is a right or worng way to put the shift forks in. It says to note the position of the forks which I was unable to due to the way that I had to remove the transmission. Im pretty sure that the wave springs are ok because if they arent set correctly the shift forks are hard to put on. I think im gonna take it all apart again to see if i can find anything wrong.
If this helps some, as you are looking into the trans case with the gears installed,the far back shift fork is on the LEFT side of the shift drum,the one closest to you should be on the right side of the shift drum. OPT

Old 02-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by stendori
is that a polaris of an aftermarket manual?
Its the polaris manual.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If this helps some, as you are looking into the trans case with the gears installed,the far back shift fork is on the LEFT side of the shift drum,the one closest to you should be on the right side of the shift drum. OPT

Ok thanks ill look at that when I take it apart

Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took everything apart again and snapped some pics, can anyone comment if the shift forks look correct, I just marked the forks, I wanted to mark how I put them in the first time.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

any info, im going to try to put this thing back together again.

Thanks

Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Send a pm to Old polaris tech he can probably help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Popping out of Gear