Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

05 Ranger cutting off

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 Ranger cutting off

i recently got an 05 ranger 500 (carb ) and have discovered a problem and need help. This unit runs strong and idles smooth. it has 212 hours. Today we went for a short ride and stoped to talking to some friends for about 7 mins we left it ideling, when we went to take off it hesitated to go and started jumping (as if we ran out of fuel and then cut off but i had just filled it up before we left for the ride. it wouldnt crank back up but after setting there for 5 minutes, doing nothing, we were able to crank back up and ride. After it cut off i tried to crank again and it turned over fine but would not fire up. it has happened one other time for my wife. Today when it happened i noticed the fan kick on for a few minutes and then it went off, the engine had a very slight bog in the idle but still seemed fine untill we started to go. Im not sure what to do. Can anyone help me? I have checked the spark plug and its seems fine, i always hear the fuel pump kick on when cranking and the fuel filter isnt clogged. thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same issue with mine. Pull the seat and look for chafed wires right around the top of the engine near the carb. Mine has a little aluminum plate and right around there there were a few wires chafed through and it kept shorting out. I had the exact same symptoms as you're describing and couldn't figure it out until I saw the wires.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:14 PM
JMW
Weekend Warrior
Default 2005 Ranger starting problems

I have a 2005 Ranger 6X6 that recently began to not crank over when it is hot. It has always started fine when cold. When it fails to start, the lights that indicate which gear it is in will not light up when the key is turned to the "on" position. However, the fuel pump will turn on, and the fan will turn on like they normally do but no gear indicator light. There is just no electricity going to the starter. When you manually jump the starter solenoid, it will turn over just fine but will not start. After it cools off it seems to work fine. Any ideas?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Ecm