Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

trailblazer 250

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailblazer 250

i bought a 250 that had been taken apart.when i was putting it back together i have a coil that has 2 spade connector what i think to be the wrong coil?help.i also had a black wire with a yellow stripe coil input i think?this is off the cdi box.there was a black wire left over from the cdi box is that the rev limiter?i also had one purple female spade connector with 3 purple wires in it left over.dont know were this goes?it has 12 volts on it only when it is in the reverse gear. ? does the proper coil have 1 place to hook a spade to.and on the cdi box is the black wire with yellow stripe go to the coil.and what is the solid black wire for.o and i have no fire! does anyone have a wiring diagram for the polaris trailblazer 250? any help would be great thanks

Old 01-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie w
i bought a 250 that had been taken apart.when i was putting it back together i have a coil that has 2 spade connector what i think to be the wrong coil?help.i also had a black wire with a yellow stripe coil input i think?this is off the cdi box.there was a black wire left over from the cdi box is that the rev limiter?i also had one purple female spade connector with 3 purple wires in it left over.dont know were this goes?it has 12 volts on it only when it is in the reverse gear. ? does the proper coil have 1 place to hook a spade to.and on the cdi box is the black wire with yellow stripe go to the coil.and what is the solid black wire for.o and i have no fire! does anyone have a wiring diagram for the polaris trailblazer 250? any help would be great thanks
Hook the black/yellow striped connector to left side of coil,black wire from cdi is the kill wire,should have single black wire coming from harness(ties into left control switch) which the cdi black wire goes into. The other side of coil is ground side and should have a brown connector. Depends on year model!!!! Earlier 250 coils had just one spade connector. What year model? coil could be a replacement?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2002 250 trailblazer

Thanks,Idid what you said.It turns out that this was the wrong coil.I put the right coil on and the wiring was just like you said.Now i have very week fire.But it is entermitting.The stator only has about 13 to 15 ac volts on the cdi input wires with the cdi box unhooked.The cdi box input wires have about 5 to6 volts ac so i dont think that is enogh?How much voltage should the stata put out.The sprk plug wire has fire when you remove the plug but when you put the plug on it only fires 1 out of 10 revolutions.And that fire is week.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

[QUOTE=jamie w;2883444]Thanks,Idid what you said.It turns out that this was the wrong coil.I put the right coil on and the wiring was just like you said.Now i have very week fire.But it is entermitting.The stator only has about 13 to 15 ac volts on the cdi input wires with the cdi box unhooked.The cdi box input wires have about 5 to6 volts ac so i dont think that is enogh?How much voltage should the stata put out.The sprk plug wire has fire when you remove the plug but when you put the plug on it only fires 1 out of 10 revolutions.And that fire is week.[/QUOTE
There are no specs on cdi as far as resistance,which is the common way to check electrical components. Only resistance on the stator trigger coil (pulse coil) the stator charge coil, the ignition coil itself(resistance at coil,wire and cap.DONT depend on voltage readings!! Get the ignition specs and you should be able to narrow down! On most machines the stator is usually the problem as far as failure,not cdi or coils,BUT you could have shorts at kill switch,etc. OPT

Old 01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

have you ever had one to have fire at the plug as long as the gap is very close together.when i open the gap up i lose fire.with the gap close together is just fouls the plug.never even pops like it wants to crank.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by jamie w
have you ever had one to have fire at the plug as long as the gap is very close together.when i open the gap up i lose fire.with the gap close together is just fouls the plug.never even pops like it wants to crank.
Just an educated guess from most of my experience the weak spark is the stator getting weak. Spec out the trigger coil 2 wires,pus check for shorts to ground on either wire,Plus the stator charge wires need to have a resistance check also. Cant remember off the top of my head,but seems like the trigger should have around 97 ohms resistance + or minus 20 percent, charge coil resistance around 288 ohms + or minus 20 percent. Coil primary about 3.0 ohms,plus check that plug wire ok and plug cap is around 5000 ohms(shorted resistor cap can happen DONT hold me to these specs,a manual is recommended. Maybe some others have one and can share specs OR if you plan on keeping machine,WORTH the investment. OPT