Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which plow setup?

Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which plow setup?

He fellas been a while since I've been here. Havent been riding much since my back surgeries, just trying to take it easy but it doesnt seem to be working. Anyway I want to get a plow for the 800. I have a winch already so I'm good to go with that. I would like to get something thats tough enough to push some gravel around if need be. Not move mountains but spread it out a bit here at home and also plow the drives. I read a little about them and I'm thinking Moose, or Cycle Country are the way to go, but what do you guys think. Also could you give me part numbers and exactly what I'll need to buy cause I'm clueless when it comes to plow setups. Seems like there are a few different things you need to buy and I havent seen any complete packages. Thanks for any help you all can give.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:56 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pretty simple... you need a mount, push tube and a blade (assuming you have a winch). These folks make a great system (now 2 systems).

American Manufacturing - Home

Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Glacier 1 system and I am very happy with it.. Got mine right from my Polaris dealer.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

if you plan to use it to get a good smooth gradeing. its not gona do a good job on loose stuff. i tryed to use mine last yr to do that. but it leaves waves. its either to low or to high becuse of the front suspention. it flexes and then put that to the plow. as for just rufly spreading it it. i perosnaly think id go with a cycle country as they have a REAL wear bar on it. not like the polaris brand plows. and it seems to me its built better. i mean come on. putting a 1/8 one sided wear bar on a plow is a bunch of crap. put a real 1/4" thick double sided bar on a plow. i just put one on a few months ago on an atv not my own. and my next plow will br a CC. mines home made.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Moose plow, and it looks to me like the Glacier II is made by Moose for Polaris. I love the plow, but the springs that came on it were too wimpy.

I went to Fleet Farm and they sell generic plow springs for full sized plows, and they fit just right. I cut the adjustment screws off and they come with plastic caps. you wont need to adjust them, and you need to tighten them up all the way to make them fit.

The blade use to trip on me all the time with the stock springs, and I actually bent the top of the blade a little when it tripped forward, and the top of the blade dug in. That doesnt happen anymore!

I like the mount because it is in front more then under neith cutting ground clearance, and the plow frame is short and sweet....easy on - easy off with a pull on a cable.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

Ditto on the Moose setup. I like the quick attach & detach feature, but I had the same issue with the springs and bending the top corners of the blade. Thanks for the tip on replacing the springs with something a little heavier duty.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got mine a couple years ago when they first came out, and I don't think they really thought thru the mounting of the springs. I couldn't mount them like they showed. I think they just used the springs off the older plow system and they didn't really fit. I wish I could get away with designing half-A#$ed stuff and selling it to the public.

With the new springs, you really have to hit something hard...really hard... to get it to trip, and when it does, it flips right back. It works great and the springs were not that much, and they came with the eye bolts with black plastic caps. I had to drill out the holes in the brackets welded to the back of the blade to accept the 1/2-13 bolts supplied, cut off the extra bolt above the nuts and put on the end caps.

now that the blade doesn't trip and come forward, I have not bent anything on the plow. I live on an old farm with a long drive way and it gets a work out.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Moose doesn't make anything. Their stuff is all just relabeled. Cycle Country makes the plows for Moose, not sure about the Glacier plow.
The quality of the American Eagle plow has impressed me the most, especially with it's new mounting frame instead of push tubes. It's almost twice as big as the Polaris plow, and heavier also (which can be an advantage or slight disadvantage while moving around).

Old 12-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Roofer
The quality of the American Eagle plow has impressed me the most, especially with it's new mounting frame instead of push tubes. It's almost twice as big as the Polaris plow, and heavier also (which can be an advantage or slight disadvantage while moving around).
Their mount frame is very similar to the Moose plow, but their plow blades (according to their website) are only made from 12ga steel (.105 thick) and the Moose blades are made from 11ga steel (.119 thick)

I don't know the thickness of their tubing used for the frame, but I don't see how they are more HD then a Moose plow.

I liked the Moose plow the best because of the Quick attach and how high you can raise it. The American Mfg plow must raise just as high because the design is so similar. I just don't like big long push tubes that are harder to hook up, and limit the height of the plow.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

Agreed, I would check out Moose(Cycle Country) and also I'd reccomend checking out the old style Warn plow, or the new Provantage system. I have the older push tube style Warn setup, and it works great IMO, and is pretty heavy duty, and as far as the provantage system goes, I haven't seen one in person, but from what I hear they are great too. I think there was a thread or 2 about the provantage a while back IIRC