Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt 80 no low end power

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt 80 no low end power

I have a 87 LT80 it has no low end power
before the drive belt broke it ran great I replaced the belt and it just doesn't have any get up and go now runs fine after it gets rolling what could my problem be
please help me

Old 12-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by alanb
I have a 87 LT80 it has no low end power
before the drive belt broke it ran great I replaced the belt and it just doesn't have any get up and go now runs fine after it gets rolling what could my problem be
please help me
My money is there is something wrong with the clutch/pulleys. When my belt broke I found more damage inside there. The front pulley was cracked and the rear assembly was very much worn/trashed. I replaced both parts out of my spare parts pile and the improvement was amazing. It got to speed in half the time and had all kinds of "pull" from a start.

Check out these areas.....and my advice, see if you can but a couple of these broken for parts. The clutch parts I needed would have cost me $375 if I had to buy them.....but I gave $100 for a LT80 with a cracked case for parts....so it was only a matter of pulling them off the shelf.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt80

thanks i just tore it apart and sure enough the rollers inside the clutch are bad and the rear movable pulley is really worn thanks again for the input wish i had a parts bike right now, I heard it takes a week or better to get parts from suzuki, Im going to have a very unhappy little boy

Old 12-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by alanb
wish i had a parts bike right now, I heard it takes a week or better to get parts from suzuki, Im going to have a very unhappy little boy
Shouldnt take any longer then about 3 days, but that depends on other factors I guess.

Spare parts quad is the way to go. Hit Craigslist and see what you can score, you eventually will find a good deal.

I bought mine, its a 1996, for $100 with a cracked case. It had studded ice racing tires, FMF Fatty Powercore exhaust system ($260 by itself), Boysen power reeds, Boost bottle and good plastic/seat. I transplanted all the performance stuff over to my sons quad and then took the rest of it apart and put it in tubs for easy access. Its SUPER handy to have laying around.

I had someone give me another LT80 yesterday.....along with the factory repair manual (which cost about $40 on eBay, if I remember correctly). This one is supposedly a runner. There was something wrong with it (dont remember) but they took it completely apart to fix it.....fixed it.....then didnt put it back together. They just want it gone. Im not going to waste my time putting it back together cause I dont trust their repair work.....so its going to be binned for parts.

These LT80s are everywhere.....and plenty cheap when they dont run, keep and eye out.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

motorsportssupercenter.com for the parts.
Best prices I've found.
Make sure the variator (where the rollers sit) and the plate that covers the rollers have no gouges.
The rear clutch halves are steel and last forever. The contact pads do wear.
Check the bearings in the rear clutch. I replace alot of those.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks the rollers turned sideways when the belt broke