Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Kill Switch Trouble today!!

Old 04-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Kill Switch Trouble today!!

Well after riding about 35-40 miles.Back at the truck and trailer to load up ,Went to start the Quad up Sportsman 450, Nothing no display no headlights no starter,NOTHING!!!
First though was the RED Engine shut off switch (which I never use) play with it quad started but only when pushing in with pressure. Got it loaded up on the trailer.

When at home took the three screws out from the side after removing the hand grip, NOTE if anybody does this be carefull not to loose any parts there are two small steel ***** in there one for tension on the headlight switch and the other is for the red engine switch along with many small contacts.

Anyway to my problem, There are double contacts for the Red kill Switch that are spring loaded ,My trouble was one of the small springs was stuck in no tension on the terminals points.........Dust was in the switch Sprayed out with Electrical contact cleaner put back together very carefully and fixed.......Thanks .............

One more ting to tell you guys.....The little Blue light for the High beam Headlights is on all the time. It is just covered when the switch is in LOW beam mode.......

Just keep this in mind if your ever out on the trail and you go to start your Sportsman and no power.......Push in the Kill HARD to see if there is any contact.........Might get you home in a pinch...............Caper...........

Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its a good idea to move(use) this switch once in awhile just to keep it moving lubed so to speak, good instructions.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks Caper, I'll be on the watch for that. We go through everything from deep mud, to snow, to dustbowl.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At last. This may be the problem that I am having. I have been searching for any issues related to the kill switch for some time now. My switch seems to be very touchy. If I switch it on and off a few times I can usually get the atv to run, but I would love to not worry about this. I hate when little pieces fall out when you are trying to repair something. How hard of a job is this? I'm pretty good with doing my own repairs on all of our vehicles, so I don't think this should be a problem. I guess as soon as a get a free minute at home I'll be giving this a shot. Thanks for posting this.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

when i had my 2000 sportsman thats all i used what the red switch. as it was the start and stop button. the key vary rarely left the igntion. now i have a 2008. and miss haveing the start button on the left side. cuz then i could start it and give it gas while both hands are on the bars. plus if i needed i can grab the brake to start in gear. i was gona look for a switch from a 2000 ish yrs to change it but i havent. yet.

i also knew about the light for the high beam. thats its coverd in low.

other than that good thread...

Old 12-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i may have jointed the ranks (i hope anyways) of a switch issue. just went down back to dig something out and wanted to use my wheeeler and no power at all and it's too damn dark out to hunt for a reason lol. hopefully a mouse didn't get in and chew the wires. since i just put it down there say 3 weeks ago i know the battery isn't dead for sure. i'm glad it's snowmobile season so i can be frustrated w/ something else instead lol.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 800Stealth07
At last. This may be the problem that I am having. I have been searching for any issues related to the kill switch for some time now. My switch seems to be very touchy. If I switch it on and off a few times I can usually get the atv to run, but I would love to not worry about this. I hate when little pieces fall out when you are trying to repair something. How hard of a job is this? I'm pretty good with doing my own repairs on all of our vehicles, so I don't think this should be a problem. I guess as soon as a get a free minute at home I'll be giving this a shot. Thanks for posting this.
It's not a very hard job..just like I said though there are some very small parts that will fall out......So just make sure your not parked on the grass or gravel driveway that will make your job hard to find anything that falls out. any questions just post and I will help you out............Caper..............

Old 05-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Where exactly does the steel ball go on the headlight switch? When I took it apart I didn't get to see where the ball was at before if fell out and I can't figure out where it goes on there for the life of me. Thanks

Old 05-28-2010, 07:22 AM

Not sure about the headlight switch......But if it's the same as the kill switch........The steel ball is there with the spring for tension as the switch gets moved from one position to another. This sits into little "dents" for the correct location for each function of the switch..ex off .....middle ...or for your case......Off/ high /low......
Hope that helps..Caper........