Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Gas Leaking from 1/4" Drain Hose

Old 11-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gas Leaking from 1/4" Drain Hose

I looked far and wide and found you. I might not be posting in the correct area but have a problem with a 2006 Honda ES Rancher 350cc. It's the one in my avatar.

If I leave my gas turned on like I normally do I smell gas. I put it outside today after starting it and was getting ready for washing. I notice the drain hose 1/4" that I assume allows a flooded carb to drain?? dripping gas and wouldn't stop until I turned off the gas. I don't see anything in my book about that hose and really why it's there.

Any ideas. I'm afraid of leaving it in the garage with the hot water heater.

Thanks, Steve from Baytown, Texas near Galveston

Attached Thumbnails Gas Leaking from 1/4" Drain Hose-0306091747a.jpg  
Old 11-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Found a thread on this in this forum. Seems to be the bowl overflow meaning the float is stuck. I have taken the carb out before and found ethanol or water has built up a small speck of build up on the slide the float rides on. it would'nt allow it to travel up and down and was stuck, but runs good. I hate to take out the carb again so I put some Mystery Oil in the gas and ran it for a while. Well it's still leaking. Time for a hammer tap I guess. I turned off the gas and allowed it to stop draining. Looks like I need to drop the bowl and take a look.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Rancher 350 is prone to getting the float stuck if a bit of grit gets under the needle. This happened to me, and all I needed to do was go out and do a few big jumps at wide open throtle. This jars the float and lets the needle break free.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

ReconRanger, yes it had a speck of grit before and I have everything tie wraped so neat after putting the carb back in I hate to mess it up. Funny how it will run OK with that float stuck, but leak until the tank is empty if you don't turn it off. I did get any jumps in yesterday, but do ride a mean wheelie through five electric shift gears. I'm 53 and think about that every time I pull one, but the kid inside tells me "You Can Do It"

Happy Thanksgiving, Steve

Old 11-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, I think you are going to have to pull the float and inspect the needle (the V should be smooth, with no groove worn in it), and check that the seat is clean and in good condition.

If you have access to a service manual to find out what the spec is, it would also be good to check the float level.

Lastly, I'm not sure if your model has one, but many Hondas have a primer ****. If the seal on those gets old and cracked, it will also cause a leak into the carb and overflow it.

In any case, fix it. If it gets to leaking faster than it can drain out the overflow it may dump gas into the intake where it seeps past the rings and fills the crankcase, and/or it may dump gas into the air box.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up Looks like a Triple Bypass

JeffinTD, that's a good idea. It does have that dime size manual choke **** you can push in. Looks like I'll go ahead and give it open heart surgery. No too easy as all the hoses, linkage, boots etc have to come off again. Maybe during a football game I can bring it in a TV tray long as it doesn't smell like gas. If so my wife will allow me to take a small TV to the back porch. I love this stuff, but love it better when it's running and acting right.

Thanks to all of you, Steve
2009 Texas Edition GMC Camo / Brown
2008 16' Two side Easygate Tandem Loader
2006 Honda Rancher ES
2008 Polaris Ranger

Attached Thumbnails Gas Leaking from 1/4" Drain Hose-20080801_0101.jpg   Gas Leaking from 1/4" Drain Hose-20080801_0102.jpg   Gas Leaking from 1/4" Drain Hose-20080801_0104.jpg  
Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem on my 2000 rancher 350 and I took the carb apart yesterday, cleaned the float bowl and jets (all in great shape), put it back together on the quad and got it started. Everything worked great but now the primer **** is stuck and does not move. It worked fine at first. Im thinking that that small plastic ring with plastic tabs coming off the bottom dislodged somehow? I have a schematic of my quad and I dont see that foolish thing anywhere on it.
Does anyone know its purpose or use or if I even have it in the right place? It fell out when I removed the bowl and I took my best guess at where it went.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

It also appears that I do not need to pull the carb to get the primer **** out. There are two screws on the body that appear to hold it in.... is this true or is it best to just pull the carb again for some reason?

Thanks for any help guys..

Old 11-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Go ahead and take the primer assembly off. If you find cracks in the diaphram, you've likely found your problem and replacing that may be the cure.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Question gas problems

hi, I'm new to this, but I need some help. My honda 250 is leaking gas through a hose that I didn't know was there. Until recently every time that I turn the gas on it automatically starts to leak gas. It used to run fine but I just dont know what to do. Any ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Leaking from 1/4" Drain Hose