Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

335 Overtemp

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone help me understand what I did wrong? After changing oil and filter I developed a problem with the fan and the overtemp light coming on in the cold mountain trails. I couldn't get the crackcase drain plug out so I removed the external oil line to drain out the crankcase oil. The fan even came on upon starting when the machine sat overnight in a cold garage.

Old 07-26-2001, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

It's a known problem with the sensor in the oiler cooler. The quad is not overheating. Call your dealer they should know about it. However, the first dealer I called, denied knowing anything about it. I called another dealer and they said, "Bring it on in!, we'll fix it."

Old 07-26-2001, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info.

Let me continue my story. After getting to the top of the mountain with the fan and red light on, I turned it off and tried to find the problem. I noticed the radiator was unusally cool and some of the oil lines were the same. The engine was very hot as well as other oil lines. After cooling off, I started down with the engine off. I more or less coasted home over some very rough trails. After several hours later I started it up again and noticed the fan did not come on and the red light remained off. It has been suggested that I got air in the oil lines and the rought ride finally purged it out. What do you think?

Old 07-26-2001, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

I suppose that is a possibility, but I've never heard of that happening. Also, why would the temp light come on and fan kick on if just AIR was in the cooler? The temp sensor is in the top of the oil cooler which you said felt cool. ??? If you have it "burped" and the fan doesn't come on again, I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you check the oil level, if air was in there, I'm sure it was taking up space that should have been occupied by oil.